Do MPB's ERODE?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hornzog, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Hornzog macrumors member

Purchased my first MBP on launch day (loving it) and was wandering what sort of erosion/sweat damage can be done to the MBP. I read a while back a thread about the sharp edges where the hand rests sort of 'flaking'.

Basically, am I going to get to dark patches on my beautiful shiny new MBP from my sweaty little hands after a while? (happened on my previous laptop)

Thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The unibodies have a much stabler construction on the palm rests, eliminating the "flexing" of the surface problem that would contribute to the chipping of the silver powder coating on the "Classic" style MBPs/PBs. However, the powder coating still doesn't bond well to the edges and you will see small chips where it has worn away.

3. Lloydehhh macrumors member

(Pours suplhuric acid on Aluminium Macbook) Yeah, look like it does.

4. Hornzog thread starter macrumors member

Awh damn. This was my favourite pass time.

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

As someone who's sweat takes the finish off every thing, yes, it erodes. I know others whose MPB does not, so I guess it's up to the individual and their sweat makeup.

I've purchased Marware's protection pack to cover my palm rest and hide the damage.

6. Mars478 macrumors 6502a

Mars478

Could I see a picture of this erosion?

7. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

The MBP top case is anodized aluminum, and it can deteriorate. I think it's a combination of factors:

1) The sharp, 90º corner where the top meets the sides. Typically when treating or coating an edge (anodizing, painting, varnishing, etc.) you strive for an "eased" or rounded edge, because the finish of a sharp corner will tend to deteriorate first, before other areas.

2) Variations in quality/control. I had two different 2010 MBP 13"ers. The first one had quite sharp corners, the texture of the aluminum (say, on the palmrest) was noticably rougher. I exchanged it for a different one on which (while the same "sharp" design) the edges were much less sharp, and the palm rest was smoother. It was as if the underlying aluminum was tigher grained.

3) On the MBP's that I've seen photos of with divots on the edge, it was as if there was a divot in the base aluminum - I wonder if that has to do with the "grainy-ness" (on a molecular level) of the aluminum under the anodizing?

4) It seems that some people's sweat is more caustic than others to the anodizing.

I haven't seen any skins that actually wrap around that front corner, but what I did was get a Moshi Palm Guard, which goes right up TO the corner, and thus protects it to a certain extent. Something like a Speck See-Thru will add even more protection, but it adds a pound to a 13" MBP, and thickness. I bought a bestskinsever skin, and may apply it (haven't decided yet). It does cover the front edge but still nothing actually goes around the corner. I think the Moshi is a good first step and is fairly unobtrusive.

Of course some people will never have a problem even with no protective measures. They probably got a machine on the high end, quality-control wise, and have un-caustic sweat.

Sailboats have anodized aluminun masts, and they, too, will exhibit flaws in the anodizing where they are rubbed over time. Not pits usually, but then they also have no 90º corners to speak of, so the rubbing is on a rounded surface (i.e a 6" diameter cylinder shape).

8. TheHoff macrumors 6502

I'm really really sweaty (no I'm not that fat) and I do have very minor sweat marks where one palm rests on a Unibody that is 28 months old.

You probably wouldn't even notice it if I handed you the laptop but I know where it is so I can see it. It is very very minor and someone who sweats a normal amount would likely never cause it.

9. Miss Terri, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011

Miss Terri macrumors 6502

Mars478,

You could probably find a few threads with photos here by searching something like "macbook pro edge." I know there was one thread with several photos that had a title like "Macbook Pro paint is coming off edges." Of course they are not painted, but are anodized (more of a chemical/electrical treatment) but the OP did not realize that and so used the word "paint." That should make it easy to search.

10. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

If you are OC about getting sweat or dirt on the palm rest why not buy a palm protector like the moshi palmguard?

11. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I put the pads on top to cover it up. You can't see it anymore.

12. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I don't have very sweaty hands, but my younger brother does. We share a MBP and I can't see any signs of eroding or where the coating's worn away.

13. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

A little off topic, but has anyone noticed that the new MBPs' keyboard keys are constructed of a slightly different plastic? I went to an apple store to check them out and noticed that the new keys are much more matte than the old ones like on the airs.

14. TheHoff macrumors 6502

The keyboard feels different than my original 2008 UB but that is tough to say right now whether it is a change in the new one or due to the years of use on the old one.

15. dime21 macrumors 6502

erode?? these are made of metal. the only way they're going to erode is if you've got acid for blood. and if that's the case, you really need to change your diet.

16. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

The case it self doesn't erode, just the polished finish.

17. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

dime21,

Perhaps there is a better word than "erode," but nonetheless the MBP's are not "raw" aluminum but are instead anodized (a sort of electro-chemical process that changes the outer layer of the aluminum). It is certainly possible to scratch, wear through or "erode" the anodizing. Some people's sweat seems to be particlarly caustic.

I work with boats, and the masts are often anodized aluminum. If you let lines or cables rub against them you will wear off the anodizing. On these, re-anodizing is usually not practical, so if one wants to restore the finish, one often paints (or "coats" since it is technically a coating) them with a two-part LPU paint. That's not really practical for laptops, so it's good to avoid the problem in the first place, if you care about it.

The MBP's don't seem to be 100% consistent in finish quality, and everyone's sweat, hand position, etc. is slightly different. Thus not every MBP will have a problem, or if they do, it will not always be to the exact same extent. Likewise, some people don't give two hoots, while others would like the machine to stay pristine, and a wide range in-between.

18. namtaB macrumors regular