Do my reasons for a 2012 Mac Mini (as opposed to 2014 model) make sense?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Cassady, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Cassady macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Hello all.

Will appreciate your thoughts - will try and keep this short.

I need to start this story with my laptop. Mid-2012 13" i5 cMBP. 16GB RAM; 480GB SSD; 500HDD in the optical. Runs like a dream. I'm really spoilt having all the storage space, something I will surely miss when the time comes to upgrade.

When I do pull the trigger, probably in 2016 sometime - I'll more than likely go for a 15" rMBP (by then - the Classic will surely no longer be around). I'll probably max the RAM again - I do video rendering in Camtasia for lectures, and have many windows open in my information manager, with a VM at any given time - the extra RAM helps.

I (sadly) won't be able to afford to max the RAM and the storage (not based on how the prices are stacked for these two options currently). So I'll need to do some serious pruning, and only have work related stuff on the new laptop.

Which brings me to the Mini.

I can still find 2012 i7 and i5's down these parts. Were I to go for the latter (think the i7 would probably be overkill for my purposes - I'm in academia, nothing too intensive), my [very limited] understanding is that I could virtually slot my current "upgrades" to my cMBP, over in the 2012 Mini - thereby returning my MBP to a stock version, which I could sell for some loose change.

The Mini would then, in effect, simply replace my current MBP, which would leave all the photos, home movies, iTunes and iBooks libraries (the space hogs) over on a new desktop - which could also service the growing family's needs (8 yr and 4 yr old) - and then leave the new rMBP for the work stuff alone...

I don't think the above would be as easy on a 2014 Mini, unless I'm mistaken?

Given my (admittedly) future (and accordingly, unknowable) financial concerns about being able to afford an 'equivalent' MBP - does it therefore make more sense to pick up a 2012 Mini now, even if it's left in the box for a year or two until such time as the proposed MBP swap-around takes place?

Or should I place more value in getting a 2014 version, that would at least be 2 years 'younger' than a 2012 version, when it finally gets put into use...

My concerns with the latter (2014 version) are the cost of maxing the RAM (which kinda defeats the purpose of what I'm wanting to do) - and limited(?) HDD user-upgrade options(?).

Any opinions/thoughts are welcomed!

2. cinealta macrumors 6502

Do not buy anything in 2014 for anticipated use in 2016. Theoretically the upgrades to your cMBP should work in a 2012 Mini (RAM, SSD, HDD) but I would not hoard a 2012 computer today for that hypothetical capability of recycling in 2016. That would be penny-wise, pound foolish. A computer is a devaluing asset. Moore's Law ensures this. Buy only the capability you need today.

Nor would I buy a 2014 Mini today for use in 2016. Although the RAM is not upgradeable AFAIK you could use at least one of your cMBP drives (eg SSD or HDD). Theoretically there is no limit to the HDD upgrade options since it has two Thunderbolt 2 ports and USB 3.0. You could expand storage to your hearts content.

Since you won't be using a Mini for academics (video rendering, VM, numerous open windows etc) you definitely don't need the Quad-core in the 2012 Mini nor would you necessarily even benefit from an i7 over an i5.

There will be a lot of changes in 2015. Either the Mini line will be discontinued or there will be a completely new design (eg nMP) with either of the two Intel mobile CPUs scheduled for 2015 release (Broadwell and/or Sky Lake), potentially faster RAM, less power consumption and reportedly better onboard graphics.

Recommendation: Sell the cMBP with all upgrades in 2016 (RAM, SSD, HDD) and use the proceeds to buy into the latest capability then and only then.

3. scottsjack macrumors 68000

Ditto, don't worry about a computer until you're ready to buy a computer.

4. Cassady thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cassady

I hear the (very) valid arguments made against buying something now, that might only be used in 2 years time. BUT realistically, I doubt I will be able to afford/justify a 1TB 16GB btp rMBP 15"...

So surely being able to take my existing MBP, and 'convert' it virtually as is, into a stay-at-home desktop, and thereby not need to max my new laptop, is viable? And if so, would the 2012 get closer to my needs than a 2014 Mini?

5. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

I'm confused, so why couldn't the cmbp just get moved too "desktop" duty when you buy a new rmbp?. Why even buy a mac mini?.

6. realuseless macrumors newbie

Like everyone else is saying. Don't do it.

1) we don't know what the 2015 mac mini will look like. Chances are it will come with SSD standard by then, and the ram upgrades are not as crazy now as they used to be (from Apple that is).

2) A pimped out Macbook Pro will sell for a lot more (and more easily) than a stock one. So you could use that money towards a new one (which will defo have an SSD (external USB3 drives are also quite cheap now if you want lots of storage).

In your situation, you should be ignoring the 2014 mini altogether, as you are looking at 2 years of changes/new releases until it starts to get relevant for you...

7. Cassady thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cassady

I thought about that as an option - it would mostly have been for practical reasons.

The Mini would (literally) fit underneath the big screen etc., along with the other cable box paraphernalia, in the downstairs lounge - which could see it being operated through the TV, as a media hub of sorts, along with iPhotos/iTunes/iMovie etc. libraries... Have an ATV2 setup currently, but its connectivity isn't great/stable (long story) - so figured the Mini running Netflix etc., would be a useful fit.

It seemed like an attractive option, to get what was in a maxed-out cMBP, into a baseline Mini - since the upgrades from the MBP could simply slot in to the 2012 Mini, which would see the latter offer several(?) more years of decent performance, given what its intended use would be for...

----------

Thanks. I hear you. Taking everything suggested in the thread into consideration - it would simply be silly of me to try "future-proof", by buying something 2 years old already... Much will obviously change in the interim - and you make a valid point about being able to get more for a maxed-out MBP, as opposed to the stock version.

The more I think about it - the more I realise I have an incredible itch to get a damn desktop, despite not really having a good reason to... :D

Have had my eye on a Mini since I 1st came over to Mac - but my laptops have always meant I didn't really need a Mini as well... looking at everything I've written, I now realise it's probably just a sad attempt at convincing myself I need a Mini now! :rolleyes:

I will wait until 2016. Will be cursing on these very forums then - when I cannot afford to get what I lust for, having to rather settle on the base model no doubt, but so be it.

Thanks for all the replies - sanity restored!

8. realuseless macrumors newbie

If you can budget it at some point, you could scratch that itch... :)

While I can't stand to work with Windows in my studio, I am also in need of a good system build from time to time (i jut like building up PC boxes, lol) and as a now-casual gamer, I take care of that by having a gaming rig attached to my TV (wireless mouse + keyboard and some xbox 360 game pads), which is obviously a windows box so that i can run any game I want to play, and windows is good enough for media duties (netflix, youtube, spotify, VLC)... and since I have no work info on it, i don't care about backups or security too much. If I need to wipe it, all it will cost me is some time to re-download everything again...

Unless you're a hardcore iFan or iHater there is no reason to be monogamous with any corporation (barring budget concerns)... :)

9. bobbydaz macrumors regular

Simple answer - start saving a little bit each month now and by 2016 you should have enough to buy want you want when you need it.

10. Cassady thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Yip. Been putting away. Timing will be crucial though, like many others - down these parts we're at the mercy of currency exchange rates, and a sole Apple distributor that likes to milk the Premium Brand... But hey - will make it more worthwhile, when the time finally arrives!