Do new iMacs with Leopard pre-installed have freezing problems?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by 66217, Nov 4, 2007.

1. 66217 Guest

I am looking at buying a new iMac, but after reading so many issues about them freezing I am afraid of buying a defective iMac.

And it seems the problems is more hardware relate than software related. So, does the new iMacs with Leopard pre-installed have the same freezing problems?

Thanks,

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

The new iMacs don't have Leopard pre-installed yet I don't think, they are still drop-in DVD's.

3. atthecross macrumors 6502

just came from apple store this evening and they swapped my imac, they said they did not have any that had leopard pre-installed yet

4. 66217 thread starter Guest

Wow. I didn't knew that. I saw in the apple store that they included Leopard.

But well, do the new batch of iMacs have the same freezing problem?

Thanks for the help,:)

5. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

The only things coming pre-installed would be the new MB's and probably MBP's with the 2.6GHz processor.

Most products in the store will still have Tiger on them and will have a Leopard DVD included with purchase for you to upgrade to when you feel you want to. Other new machines with Leopard wont be shipping for a while I don't think... after some bug fixes perhaps.

Not sure about the freezing issues, use the forum search and check some of the dedicated threads.

6. nakile macrumors regular

When it comes down to it, the whole freezing thing is blown out of proportion. I've read reviews on CNet, Amazon, and other places and seen almost no mention of it at all.

You'll most likely get a working unit. If it does have the crashing problems, it's hardware related and you should be able to get a replacement.

If you buy a iMac from the online store, it will have Leopard preinstalled. If you go to a local Apple Store, it will most likely be a drop-in.

7. Cobra2001 macrumors regular

Do you know this for a fact? I'm looking for some concrete evidence of this and then I'll be heading right over to the apple online store with my credit card :)

Thanks.

8. hologram macrumors 6502

Why don't you try calling Apple with your credit card in hand, and ask them? They'll probably be able to give you a more accurate answer than we will.

9. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Frankly, I think this freezing issue has been taken out of all proportion. Certainly, the machines I've had access to do not suffer this problem and, allegedly, the recent iMac update should have fixed it anyhow. I'd suggest that you just go for it....

10. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

Unfortunately, the latest software update didn't fixed anything. Anyhow, I would suggest you go down to the Apple Store and let them test a brand new one for you right there before you take it home. It would give you a better chance of having a non-freezer.

11. Cobra2001 macrumors regular

Because I've heard conflicting reports of people being told different things when asking this question of Apple. A positive report from someone saying they ordered an iMac online and received a system with Leopard on it would be pretty concrete, huh?;)

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Apples history with rev A machines and new OS's aint pretty. Waiting is prudent. I also am looking but another few weeks for them to either iron out these issues or sell off those units with bad parts or make those software fixes wont hurt at all. Patience is a virtue. For what Apple wants for its hardware I expect it to be Perfect. No exception.:apple:

13. Cobra2001 macrumors regular

14. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

I ordered the morning of Leopard release day, and it's scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

I'll let you know what I get as soon as it gets here.

15. nyc2socal macrumors newbie

I ordered an iMac last week, got it today...

I ordered my new iMac last week, and it came today (Mon Nov 5). It came pre-installed with Tiger.. I just upgraded it to Leopard + Tigers iLife.

2.8Ghz 500GB

16. 66217 thread starter Guest

Yes, I am really trying to wait, but you know, ummmm,....I think I am an addict, something in the Apple products just makes me want more and more.:D

No, seriously, the Windows PC at my house broke, and I convinced my mom to get a Mac, so we really need one ASAP. I guess I'll wait the more I can.

I already asked the Apple Distributor in my city and they told me no one had had that type of problems with the iMacs here. (I live in Mexico BTW). Who knows, maybe the batch that came to Mexico doesn't has this problem.:rolleyes:

So, any freezing?

17. nyc2socal macrumors newbie

I have not seen any freezing (nor do I notice any screen issues - though I need to review the threads to see how to identify the issue.. well, maybe I won't.. If I don't see a problem, why bother trying to find it ;) .. I have seen the spinning beach ball a couple of times (which went away after a few seconds), but I currently only have 1GB.. Waiting for OWC 4GB RAM to come in... Kinda disappointed that I got a machine from China faster than I can get RAM in the US. ;)

Right now, I am importing 23,000 photos into iPhoto.

18. Cobra2001 macrumors regular

Thanks RumMunkey, I'm guessing you'll probably get the drop in disc of Leopard but you never know.

Thanks!

19. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Probably not, most folks didn't get dropins until after 6PM at Apple stores.

20. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Just came now. It's pre-installed with Tiger, Leopard Drop-in.

For the record, I ordered it on the 26th. I got the upgraded HDD (750 GB) so I was hoping that might help force Leopard, but no-go.

Oh well... off to do a fresh install myself.

Oh, btw, this thing is just beautiful. wow! :eek:

21. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Right on! Enjoy. Ignore the naysayers!

22. Cobra2001 macrumors regular

Thanks for the update. Enjoy!:D

23. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

I guess it depends on when stocks run out in * store and * warehouse because Apple certainly won't be giving Tiger machines to it's stores anymore.

24. ncshawng macrumors member

What freezing problems??

Seriously, I've had mine since October 23rd, and no freezing at all. It's a 20" 2.4 GHz with 4 gig memory and a 500 gig HD.

25. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    There was a report that Macs shipped before 3 November would come with Tiger and a drop-in disc for Leopard. Macs shipped from Apple after 3 November would come with Leopard pre-installed.