Do Newer 2G iPod Touches Ship With OS 3.0?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by nallington, Jul 22, 2009.

1. nallington macrumors newbie

I ordered my iPod Touch with my Macbook Pro through the educational promotion on Monday, and I was wondering if iPod Touches made or shipped after the release of OS 3.0 will come shipped with OS 3.0, or if I have to upgrade it?

2. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

They do not. You have to pay to upgrade it yourself.

3. nallington thread starter macrumors newbie

Meh. Not what I wanted to hear... oh well. I guess I have to bite the bullet :/

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I got mine the same way you did, OP. But seriously, you got it for free. :D

5. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

My mother got one recently and I was pretty surprised that it didn't come with 3.0 or a means for downloading it. It's a pretty ordinary move on apple's behalf if you ask me.

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Plug it into iTunes and click "check for update". 3.0 popped right up for me.

7. goinskiing macrumors 6502a

goinskiing

Seriously? The newer iPod Touches don't ship with OS 3.0? Can anyone confirm that theirs did indeed come with OS 3.0?

8. nallington thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, so $10 isnt all that much to pay to have the latest OS. I just hope Apple doesnt charge us EVERY time iPhone OS has an update :(

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

Typically, they charge for major updates, just as they do with OSx. If you have 3.0, then 3.1 will be free. In OSx, if you have 10.5.1, then 10.5.2 will be a free update.

10. goinskiing macrumors 6502a

goinskiing

But once the new major update has come out, the computers typically ship with the new OS though I thought.

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

Computers do, but iPods do not. It may be related to the issues of the new features not working on the device due to limitations in hardware. Perhaps the thinking at Apple is to hold off so that they don't have a mass of people complaining that feature X does not work on their device, and the reason being the device doesn't have some hardware feature.

12. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Since it's widely expected that new iPod Touches will be announced this fall, Apple is unlikely to change the OS installed on this generation (why pass up an opportunity to squeeze an extra $10 out of a customer) though you can almost certainly expect to see 3.0 or newer on the next generation of devices.

13. sonicalpha macrumors newbie

sonicalpha

Mine didn't come with OS 3, I had to pay to upgrade.

As has been stated, you pay for every major upgrade (2.0, 3.0, etc), once you have the current version, minor upgrades are free (2.1, 3.1, etc).

So once you buy the 3.0 upgrade, you shouldn't have to pay again until OS 4 is released ;)

14. celticpride678

No, it does not. 3.0 will not ship with the iPod touch until September, when a new one will be released. This is about the 5th topic on this. Please search before posting.