Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nquinn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2020
In searching around, it seems like most 3rd party wireless chargers, even if they support 15w, will say 'limited to 7.5w for iPhone'.

My understanding is that the Apple one starts at 15w and then throttles down to 7.5w or so at 50%.

Am I missing any trustworthy wireless/Qi/magsafe style chargers out there that might be cheaper than the $40 iPhone one that can do a full 15w?

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
Worth a look…

nquinn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2020
Reactions: russell_314

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
In searching around, it seems like most 3rd party wireless chargers, even if they support 15w, will say 'limited to 7.5w for iPhone'.

My understanding is that the Apple one starts at 15w and then throttles down to 7.5w or so at 50%.

Am I missing any trustworthy wireless/Qi/magsafe style chargers out there that might be cheaper than the $40 iPhone one that can do a full 15w?
The Apple is the cheapest. It stays at 15w past the 50% mark, but definitely throttles as it gets >70%. But that's the same as wired/Qi chargers as well.

Reactions: russell_314

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Right but if not cheaper than $40 might as well just get the Apple OEM charger. It has gone for $30 at verizon store (though you do still need the an AC adapter)
The problem with the Apple one is it doesn’t come with a stand or any kind of mount. It really doesn’t seem to be any more convenient to pick up the puck and put it on the back of the phone versus plugging in a cord. If you have a stand then you’re just setting your phone on it so I think that becomes more convenient. For home I bought one off of Amazon for I think $10 that fits the Apple charger. It seems to work well for what it’s designed for.

nquinn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2020
The problem with the Apple one is it doesn’t come with a stand or any kind of mount. It really doesn’t seem to be any more convenient to pick up the puck and put it on the back of the phone versus plugging in a cord. If you have a stand then you’re just setting your phone on it so I think that becomes more convenient. For home I bought one off of Amazon for I think $10 that fits the Apple charger. It seems to work well for what it’s designed for.
Eh, I use a 3rd party round one with no stand at home. It just sits on an end table next to the couch and works fine.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Eh, I use a 3rd party round one with no stand at home. It just sits on an end table next to the couch and works fine.
Of course it works but to me if I have to pull a puck off the back of the phone it’s the same as unplugging it. I did that for a while but I just didn’t see any advantages over the plug and it charges slower. With the stand I can just grab my phone so that adds a little bit of convenience vs the plug.

What’s the advantage of using a 3rd party puck versus the Apple one? I bought a Belkin one that also has a little pop out stand. It seemed like a cool idea at the time but I don’t use it that much anymore.

ls1dreams

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2009
For me I put the phone on and off it a hundred times a day as I walk around working from home. Leas worries about the lightning port wearing out.

I had issues on all previous iphones with that port failing

ls1dreams

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2009
The Apple is the cheapest. It stays at 15w past the 50% mark, but definitely throttles as it gets >70%. But that's the same as wired/Qi chargers as well.
It’s not the cheapest but competitive.

There is a Belkin on sale at amazon right now for $15 with wall charger

nquinn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2020
Link to that Belkin? I've yet to see a 15w MagSafe charger that's cheaper than the original Apple.
Oh, I don't think this one is a true 15w for iPhone though. Like 99% sure it's only 7.5w. So you're correct - none cheaper @ 15w that I know of.

I've seen the Apple version go on sale for $30 at the Verizon store, but it doesn't include a wall charger! (which is kind of ridiculous because you know this will be used as an additional charger)

Last edited:

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
Oh, I don't think this one is a true 15w for iPhone though. Like 99% sure it's only 7.5w. So you're correct - none cheaper @ 15w that I know of.

I've seen the Apple version go on sale for $30 at the Verizon store, but it doesn't include a wall charger! (which is kind of ridiculous because you know this will be used as an additional charger)
I have one of these Belkin chargers and it's going in the trash. It is the slowest charger I've ever used on anything and it makes the phone hotter than it should for the ridiculously slow charging speed.

nquinn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2020
I have one of these Belkin chargers and it's going in the trash. It is the slowest charger I've ever used on anything and it makes the phone hotter than it should for the ridiculously slow charging speed.
Have you used other 7.5w chargers before? Is it worse than those?

I use a generic choetech one at home and it is slow, but I just leave it sitting around for casual use and will throw my phone on a 20w lightning quick charge if I need something faster.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
Have you used other 7.5w chargers before? Is it worse than those?

I use a generic choetech one at home and it is slow, but I just leave it sitting around for casual use and will throw my phone on a 20w lightning quick charge if I need something faster.
This is the first one I tried. Belkin is a brand name. I expected better.

nquinn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2020
This is the first one I tried. Belkin is a brand name. I expected better.
I've heard from a few Apple podcasts and other areas that despite Belkin being a large Apple partner their quality is very low.

Remember vendors aren't only selected on quality - logistics and ability to produce enough is probably a bigger factor.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
I've heard from a few Apple podcasts and other areas that despite Belkin being a large Apple partner their quality is very low.

Remember vendors aren't only selected on quality - logistics and ability to produce enough is probably a bigger factor.
After my experience with this thing, I can see why they might have a low opinion. It really is junk.

Lakersfan74

Suspended
Oct 17, 2019
I use Apple MagSafe chargers with 3M mounting tape. I also don’t like using the port if I don’t have to.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I use the Apple puck - anything 3rd party, appears to need “Made for iPhone” certification in order to give the 15W charge. And that brings the cost up to the point where the Apple is the best choice, for me anyway.

I have a 3D printer, so I’ve printed stands that it pops into & a car mount for it too.

nquinn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2020
I use the Apple puck - anything 3rd party, appears to need “Made for iPhone” certification in order to give the 15W charge. And that brings the cost up to the point where the Apple is the best choice, for me anyway.

I have a 3D printer, so I’ve printed stands that it pops into & a car mount for it too.
Ya. Best deal I've found is Verizon on sale for $29 - 10% cashback - 5% chase freedom points with paypal = roughly $26 and $2.60 in airline rewards. ($23 effective)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.