Do non-Bluetooth, cordless mice have no lag? (Better for gaming)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Libertine Lush, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Libertine Lush macrumors 6502a

I was keen on getting a Bluetooth mouse to pair with an upcoming MBP purchase, to be used for very occasional gaming. In reading reviews, particularly customer reviews at Amazon, for even the top-rated Bluetooth mice, like the Razer Orochi, there are always some complaints of mouse lag. That led me to think that if even Razer's Bluetooth mouse can't execute Bluetooth well, perhaps I should consider getting a non-Bluetooth, cordless mouse, the ones with a USB receiver (what's it called? RF mouse?).

So I'd like to ask, do non-Bluetooth, cordless mice have the same lag issues as Bluetooth mice? Are they better for gaming? (I'll probably be playing mostly FPS) The impression I get from the many reviews I've checked so far is that they do lag less and that the lag only appears after significantly longer periods of inactivity, unlike a Bluetooth mouse like the Orochi, which powers down after only about 3 seconds.

If lag isn't an issue with these mice, then the Logitech Performance MX (http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice_pointers/mice/devices/5845) seems most appealing to me. If there are some considered even better, I'd love your recommendations. Thanks.

2. err404 macrumors 68020

For FPS Wired>RF>BT. The only reason to use a BT mouse, is to avoid the need for a receiver. RF is generally good enough for all but the most obsessive players.

3. Libertine Lush thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm an extremely casual gamer, so I'd first prefer to reduce clutter (cords or USB receivers).

Since you rank RF ahead of BT, is that to say that RF still has lag or delay, cept not as bad at BT? And is that lag noticeable only to the most hardcore and discriminating gamer?

I'm leaning towards the Orochi at the moment. In Bluetooth mode, it has a 8ms delay. Eight-thousandths of a second sounds very acceptable to me. I can't imagine the 1ms delay standard on wired gaming mouse is meaningful enough for someone like me.