Do non-optimized apps look better or worse on the iPad3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by windmill83, Mar 31, 2012.

1. windmill83 macrumors member

Do apps that have not been optimized for the retina display look better or worse on the iPad3 than the iPad2? I’m asking because I remember when HD TVs first came out SD programs actually looked worse on HD TVs than the old SD TVs. I was wondering if something similar would happen here.

2. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

It's hard to tell. I think they look worse, but that is probably just because text in those apps looks really good, so when you see the non-optimized graphics they look crappy in comparison.

Theoretically the new iPad should look better, because of the smaller pixel gaps in the display.

3. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Actually, from a technical standpoint it should look the same, or at the very least, very similar.

But, as you say, because everything else looks better it's likely it'll stand out more.

4. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Most things look the same. Graphics and other UI elements that rely on subpixel rendering to smooth jagged edges will look more rough on the iPad 3, but overall I find most apps (non-retina) look the same.

5. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

Worse.

Angry Birds, for example, looks pixelated and is virtually unplayable. The new retina version of Angry Birds Space is a marked improvement.

BJ

6. albertxp06 macrumors regular

Some of the apps look worse up close. However, I find that holding it at the normal distance I hold an iPad 2 makes it look just fine.

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Generally worse b/c they have lower res graphic elements. A good example is the WSJ app before they updated on Friday. Prior to the update the article text was pixelated. Now it's tack sharp.

8. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

I have some older iPhone applications where you use the 2x button to go full screen.

I have to say that they look much better in the new iPad then on the older iPad 2

Some games and iPad only apps will benefit from a graphics rewrite.

9. slicecom macrumors 68020

They look worse than they did on iPad 2. Apps that haven't been updated to iPad retina will soon be deleted off my iPad.

10. Sir David macrumors newbie

Yes I totally agree. iPhone applications (like instagram with the 2x button) look better than "older" iPad 2 apps (e.g. facebook).