DO NOT BUY Das 4 Professional for Mac!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lisq199, Dec 9, 2015.

1. lisq199 macrumors newbie

lisq199

I just bought my Das 4 Professional for Mac with Greetech brown switches the other day, and I decided to return it after using it for just one hour.

I knew before I made my purchase that this keyboard does not use Cherry MX switches. It uses clone switches made by Greetech. I expected these clone switches to be worse than Cherry, but I didn't expect them to be THIS bad. It's still amazing to me that pretty much every key feels different. Some keys feel stiffer and other feel softer. Some keys have a distinctive tactile bump and others are barely noticeable. To make things worse, some keys are just downright scratchy. I mean you can not only feel but also hear the scratch when hitting the keys. And the space bar is really mushy.

It really is a shame that Das chooses to use cheap clone switches on the Mac version. The PC version still has Cherry MX switches. I like the design and build quality of this keyboard, and additional features like the USB 3.0 hub and media keys are nice to have.

The bottom line is DO NOT BUY this keyboard. It's simply not worth the money. Das Model S for Mac is a much better option. It's cheaper and it has Cherry MX switches (blue). If you want brown switches and with Mac layout, then check out WASD Keyboards.

2. brofkand macrumors member

Better to get a Matias or Unicomp keyboard if you want a reliable, built to last keyboard.

3. HenryAZ macrumors 6502

HenryAZ

Matias is good, and on a level with the Model S daskeyboard. However, I absolutely hated the tiny Option keys on the Matias, as I use those (Control, Option, Command) keys quite a bit. I used Unicomp for a number of years, on both PC and Mac, but Matias and daskeyboard blow it away in feel, for me. Unicomp is well built, I'll give it that.

4. markovchain macrumors member

my unicomp spacesaver mac keyboard failed in less than a year due to a number of random keys failure. The replacement keyboard cost $500 and failed in ONE MONTH for the same problem.

I just bought the Happy Hacking Keyboard P2 and couldn't be happier. The build quality is second to none! Better than the cheap plastic used by Unicomp.

This thread should read "DO NOT BUY Unicomp keyboard for Mac"

5. c8rlo macrumors 6502

c8rlo

solid choice, though i have the Lite 2...

6. HenryAZ macrumors 6502

HenryAZ

This is the first I've heard of this brand. It looks nicely built. But a numeric keypad is a must for me.