DO NOT BUY FROM COOLDRIVES.COM (seeing = believing)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by slughead, Jan 26, 2009.

1. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

You have to see this to believe it.

I was doing some work for a friend and his 4-bay enclosure from cooldrives.com (coolgear brand) had all four fans busted!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDapTX6KjUQ

I was so surprised I had to take a few minutes and throw up this video, because nobody would believe me otherwise.

I bought a bad enclosure 5 years ago from cooldrives, I can't believe they're still in business.

They (coolgear) have tons of websites around the internet, but cooldrives is their main one I think.

I used to be the head of the RMA and QA department for a warehouse here in Phoenix. These guys must just hate their customers or something.

2. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

its good that you are able to help your friend out.
    really sucks that companies exist out there that do not follow through with their products.

and people complain about apple or hp having bad customer service...

thanks for the input. i, myself, will stay away from that company.

3. Tomb01 macrumors 6502

Well, I bought an enclosure for a 500GB disk from them a few months ago, specifically because it advertised its capability to be used with 12.5mm drives. Guess what, when it came the drive would not fit.... They told me that their testing had not had any problems, which was flatly impossible as the drive simply did not fit. They eventually were willing to refund my money, and pay for ground shipping back, but not the expedited shipping TO me. I'd be very leery of them at this point...

Tom B.

4. slughead thread starter macrumors 68040

slughead

That's better luck than a lot of people had. The RMA and returns department is ridiculous. Reading the review sites, this place commonly gets below 50% customer satisfaction. It's not actually that tough to put things in a box and mail it, but even then, they occasionally royally botch orders (according to the reviews). Also, the positive reviews are almost always people buying cables, cards, or adapters--none of which were Coolgear brand. The drive enclosures (mostly house brand), however, are cheap crap.