DO NOT buy Kingston SSD Now V+ series

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tom71, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Tom71 macrumors regular

Tom71

They are outright lying on their website. They tell us that their SSD requires less power than regular HDDs and this is completely not true.

After putting their 512 GB model into my MBP, I lost ~10-15% battery power.

Kingston has been unhelpful and just tells me that "the SSD consumes less power than a regular harddisk and this has been confirmed by our technicians". Hell I had even a 7.2k drive in my MBP before which consumes MORE than a regular HDD and here I am losing 10-15% of battery life to their SSD. They are just lying through their teeth and they should not be trusted. It really really sucks.

I've been at 10 emails so far but only robots reply as it seems. I just hope they would pull a firmware update out of their sleeves but I think it's very unlikely.

Given the price of this piece of equipment I'm all but happy.

Tom

PS: I know about the Tom's Hardware article that says that you will lose battery power when switching to SSD but this was two years ago - I was hoping times changed but it looks like they haven't.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Give them a call. I NEVER complain through email as all I get is those robot replies. Through phone, you can demand to speak to the manager and you get immediate answer.

3. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Meh, even if it does take a bit more power, the speed increases justify it.

4. boogieman macrumors regular

How about the speed of your pro now are you happy with the performanc? Battery doesn't bother me at all. I want it for performance. If possible would
    you geek bench it for me or xbench it. I am about to buy that drive for my new i7.

5. calvy macrumors 65816

This thread is silly. The claim that SSD saves power is about as shady as the claim that OLED saves power. Sure, it does, in the right conditions, but not all conditions.