Do not buy readdle apps

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by pMad, Sep 27, 2013.

1. pMad macrumors regular

Readdle has produced some decent apps. But they are now engaging in what I consider to be an unethical practice.

Calendar+ and Print Central Pro are/were two apps I regularly used.
    However, Readdle has decided that instead of updating those apps, they will just rebrand them as two "new" apps, Calendar Pro and Printer Pro.

These are essentially the same apps repackaged with the hopes of having current product owners buy the same app again.

This is a dangerous precedent they are trying to establish.
    If they pull it off, we maybe faced with a situation where we are repurchasing apps instead of updating them.

Don't let it happen.

DO NOT BUY READDLE APPS

Let them know this is unacceptable.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

unfortunately Apple only gives them two options to updating their apps. Free updates, and full pricing.

If the new version is a significant update that you cannot fault the developer.

Edit:
    I don't fault the developer for trying to make money and if they are producing a major update should they give that away for free?

3. pMad thread starter macrumors regular

That is the same excuse Readdle is pushing.
    It simply isn't accurate.
    When traditional software has a MAJOR upgrade, they offer "upgrade pricing" which is significantly reduced from the full purchase price.
    If Readdle wanted to do this, they could add an "in app purchase" to the current app that would give you a code to redeem for the new upgrade.

This "free or full price" nonsense simply is not accurate.

It can easily be worked around but Readdle has no incentive to do so.

We can give them that incentive by not buying the new apps.

4. StevenB14 macrumors regular

StevenB14

I do believe Readdle are discounting the app and offering Calendars 5 at £2.99/$4.99 as an introductory price.

I expect it will rise to the full price soon.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I agree that major vendors provide upgrade pricing when buying their software directly (for desktop apps). Whether you agree with it or not, Apple has set up the app store without any sort of upgrade pricing mechanism. Countless developers have requested this feature and so far nothing from Apple. If you want to blame someone then blame Apple.

Just look at any app in the app store, and show me where there is an upgrade being offered - there isn't any. In app purchase maybe a good idea except its in app, not new app replacing the existing app. If it could easily be worked around, then we'd see many developers working around this issue but we don't see any work around.

They either discount the full price for a short period of time, offer the major update for free or do what 99.99% of the developers in the app store do. Charge full price for the new version.

6. stiligFox macrumors 65816

stiligFox

While I do agree, I am glad they don't do the "upgrade with in app purchase" way. Then everything you go to redownload the app, you have to redownload the IAP. It becomes a bit of a mess.
    And keep in mind. They have to make a living to. Remember back when every program was like at least $30? People want so much for free now.

7. nutmac macrumors 68040

Get your information straight.

I have Printer Pro, back when it was called Printer Central Pro and Printer Pro is merely a name change and a free upgrade for existing users, even those who purchased it 3 years ago.

As for Calendars, there's no such thing as Calendars Pro, but if you are talking about new Calendars 5 app, it is entirely new app. You can't expect company to provide free update forever and stay in business. And Readdle is providing free feature limited version that can be unlocked at a piece meal.