Do Not Buy Snow Leopard...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by the vj, Aug 26, 2009.

1. the vj macrumors 6502a

... YET.

I am even taking the time to open a thread aboput it.

Every time there is a barnd new first version of something it will come with problems that will get resolved at the next revision.

For example, Adobe suite CS3 "have not been tested!!!!"

I wrote in several threads that before jumping to buy any brand new product of Apple think twice.

The first iPhone is basically useless, the Powerbook Ti had less features than the Pismo and the paint fell off. First iPod had little storage and so on...

Usually at the third revision things get better with Apple.

With Snow Leopard many changes have been implemented and you have to wat for the software developers to catch up with teh BUGS SL has.

I am telling this because there are gonna be thousands of people complaning "SL does not recognize this, SL can't read the plugins, etc, etc..."

So...
    WAIT

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

The first iPhone was FAR from useless. Also yes, the first iPod wasn't huge storage wise, 5GB is still enough for some people to day. Thats just where the technology was at that point in time

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Just like everyone else?

Not Apple's problem. It's Adobe's, and they don't care.

Aaaand you've been discredited right here.

I think they have, hence the developer previews.

No, that's every release of anything ever. Snow Leopard is nothing special.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's just 29€ so it's worth trying and testing it for me. If it was 129€ I would think twice. Also, SL is basically just rewrote Leopard so there might be less bugs than Leopard had in the beginning. If nobody buys it, it'll always be buggy plus if it's too buggy, just reinstall Leopard and you'll be fine before 10.6.x comes

5. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

10.6.* releases are free though.

Besides, everything I need is said to work with SL.

6. crazyxzer0 macrumors 6502

this is silly. it takes early adopters in order to test and get everything sorted so the rest of who are waiting can get the "better" version. If no one installs it, then how will they know what doesnt work?

Most of the apps I am using are already compatible..with a few not working. No surprise ,but i don't think its enough to stop me from upgrading. eventually it will work and these programs arent essential to my daily usage so I'm not even going to worry about it.

Besides, just have a backup copy of your leopard cloned via SuperDuper and if you don't like it, go back. So far Snow leopard seems faster than Leopard. Just installed yesterday.

just my two cents.

7. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Ok....I canceled my order :p

Seriously though.....everyone needs to realize this is Apple, and things/software/drives/hardware may or may not work.

As much as I can't stand Adobe....and hate the fact they released CS4 so soon after CS3....I can see where they don't want to HAVE to support it.

Many people however are saying that CS3 is working fine. Snow Leopard or not, I had just assumed that Adobe didn't care about CS3 anyway....heck, I've got general CS3 bugs that I know will never be fixed. I'll deal with them and wait for CS5 though :D

Wait on Snow Leopard.....you can do that. However, for $29/$49 bucks, I prefer to test.

-Kevin

8. NightFlight macrumors 6502

NightFlight

Useless, seriously misinformed post from the OP.

9. jointsmoking macrumors regular

I've bought and installed every OSX release since the public beta. I will shag my butt to the mac store on Friday and pick up a great new piece of software, install it and enjoy. You wait.

10. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I don't think Snow Leopard is going to break tonnes of apps like Leopard did (which was nowhere near as bad as the farcical Vista release, of course).

Since Snow Leopard is more of an upgraded version of Leopard, mainly under-the-hood etc., I seriously doubt that many apps will have any trouble running in it. I haven't heard any developers complaining about a lack of compatibility in the recent builds.

Correct me if people have found otherwise with the recent developer builds, of course.

I jumped on the Leopard train the day it came out and ran unto very few problems.

11. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

A lot of the time OP bugs are found by the end user, without people installing it, they won't be found.

12. zerostar macrumors regular

This is the lamest thread I have ever seen, this is the 7th MAJOR version of Mac OS X and right now it's running perfect for many people.

I still use my 5GB iPod, my 60GB video died, but my 5GB is still kicking, firewire port and all.
    My wife LOVES her hand-me-down iPhone (Orig) and it works 100% perfect and runs the latest software on it.
    The Titanium is still a sexy machine but its slow because... well its OLD and its a computer, can't fault it for that!

13. esdunbar macrumors newbie

This is what is wrong with America.

People like you thinking they know what is best for everyone else.

What do you care if I buy SL or not? Guess, what; I like getting things right away. I'm not mindless, I just don't mind the bugs. They are out weighed by the joy of tinkering with a new product, and the convenience of the new features.

I find it funny that in your wisdom, you called the phone that has revolutionized the cell phone industry (just look at how many copies there are now) worthless.

Thanks for thinking you know what's best for me, but you don't.

P.S., are you really President Obama?

14. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Don't tell me what to do.

Snow Leopard goes on my machine the second I get the chance, and I won't regret it even if I have problems. I enjoy it.

Oh yeah, and quit wasting forum space with the same threads that have been posted 100 times or more. I don't think I'm exaggerating either.

jW

15. jstate1983 macrumors newbie

jstate1983

You have to think about though, that is what sets Apple apart from other OS. Apple, thoroughly tests their software before releasing it. Anytime that there are any bugs they are usually small and easily fixable. Another thing to think about is that this is not a complete overhaul to Leopard, this is basically just enhancements to what is already there to make to run smoother and at the capacity that it was intended to. If Snow Leopard was a complete overhaul and totally different than that of Leopard then I would be inclined to agree and wait a couple of months to purchase Snow Leopard but I don't foresee anything that could cause THAT big of a problem and if there was then like always, Apple is always very prompt about getting fixes out to the masses.

16. kudukudu macrumors regular

Anyone's whose livelihood relies on 3rd party applications (e.g. adobe) won't upgrade to SL until they have the warm and fuzzies that all of their existing applications work fine (probably somewhere around 10.6.4) unless they are very risk tolerant.

Home users who are just using their computer for email, web surfing and family photos will be early adopters and take the plunge.

My advice for most users: buy it now since it is so cheap, but wait until 10.6.1 if you are a home user and wait until a later patch release if you are a business user.

17. yoyomaster macrumors regular

So no one should buy Snow Leopard for a few months...? I'm not going to buy it until later this year probably since it's not something I absolutely need right now, but why does it matter if anyone else purchases Snow Leopard?

18. kolax macrumors G3

There will be issues as always. No OS release is perfect.

I'm looking forward to the release on Friday - screw you OP ;)

19. guywoodman7 macrumors member

Well I've been using build 10A432 since it was seeded by Apple, and as a professional in the Television industry, I have been very pleased with the performance. I depend on Final Cut Pro, and Adobe CS4 for my lively hood and have run into no problems so far.

I have upgraded on day one since Tiger was released. Every new OS has its bumps, but I have been rather impressed with the lack of bumps 10.6 has encountered in my experience thus far.

So far I've come across 2 apps that are incompatible, and they are minor...in my case iStat Menus and Medialink, but both should be compatible very soon.

I will be in the store Friday picking up my official copy.

20. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

Lol!

(I wouldn't normally indulge in lolling, but I'll make an exception this time.)

21. creon macrumors 6502

No thanks. I will be enjoying SL Friday night while you pout.

If there are bugs...so what? Apple will send out updates and the universe will continue to be.

Stop worrying and spreading you anxiety to people who might actually listen.

22. silentnite macrumors 6502a

silentnite

I have to agree with every1 else, you gotta get in some where in order to know what works & what doesn't. This is the only way Apple can know what needs to be updated or adjusted etc.

Like HellHammer states it's just $29.00 & if your not happy you could always go back. In my case I will update 1 computer to S.L. & and leave my Mac mini running Tiger 10.4.11 until everything is worked out.

Mean time me & the rest of the guys here will keep you updated on what your missing. LOL :rolleyes: