Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PreferSilence

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
The Do Not Disturb function silences all calls and annunciations, but allows some calls in a list to get through. SMS / Text messages from the same number are however still silenced. I need a method to:
a) Allow calls from favourite numbers in a list any time AND
b) Allow SMS / text messages from the list to announce any time AND
c) Silence ALL other calls and SMS / text tones not in the favourite lists.

The only way I can think of is to set the general ring tone and Announce tones to silent each time and assign special ring tones and announce tones to the designated contacts. It however then needs to be reset when ready to accept incoming calls / messages and set them to silent again when needed such as at night.

Any other way to do this or an APP that can do it automatically?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
That's the only way I'm aware of.

I actually prefer the way it's done so I can silence text from the same people I'd like to get calls from.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yeah, unfortunately SMS/iMessage is not part of DND, just calls (at least so far).

PreferSilence

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
DND workings

The problem is that even with the same people you silence or allow, only calls are let through, Text Messages (SMS) are not let through. I want Text messages also to be let through!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The problem is that even with the same people you silence or allow, only calls are let through, Text Messages (SMS) are not let through. I want Text messages also to be let through!
They are let through, you are just not audibly notified about them. But, yes, as mentioned earlier, SMS is not included in Do Not Disturb (at least not so far).

phositadc

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
The Do Not Disturb function silences all calls and annunciations, but allows some calls in a list to get through. SMS / Text messages from the same number are however still silenced. I need a method to:
a) Allow calls from favourite numbers in a list any time AND
b) Allow SMS / text messages from the list to announce any time AND
c) Silence ALL other calls and SMS / text tones not in the favourite lists.

The only way I can think of is to set the general ring tone and Announce tones to silent each time and assign special ring tones and announce tones to the designated contacts. It however then needs to be reset when ready to accept incoming calls / messages and set them to silent again when needed such as at night.

Any other way to do this or an APP that can do it automatically?

FYI you can do this on android. Probably not a good enough reason to switch though. I find apple's DND mode meets my needs.

hgrimberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
Maybe some developer can come up with the great idea of creating a tweak to allow those notifications?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.