iPhone Do not disturb for calls/messages only

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Colors6, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Colors6, Feb 21, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2013

Colors6 macrumors member

Can I setup do not disturb so that it only works on calls from my google contacts?

I.e. I want to get calls only from my google contacts. I want the phone to ignore calls from all other numbers.

I guess the way to do is to add google contacts via carddev and then set do not disturb to allow calls from only the google contacts 'group'

Assuming my above theory is correct, what I want is Do not Disturb to block only the unwanted phone call notifications. I want to *get all other* notifications from other apps like twitter, CNN, etc.

Can this be done? Or will enabling DNB block notifications from all apps along with the phone app?

I hope I was able to enunciate properly what I want.

Allow calls only from my google contact nos.(via carddev), but get notifications from other apps. I guess I'm trying to replicate the basic address book only functionality of the iBlacklist Cydia app. I don't want to jailbreak, hence the dilemma.

EDIT - I read somewhere that DNB only works when the phones locked/sleeping. If that is true, then I will have no other option but to jailbreak & install iblacklist. I really hope I don't have to do that.

2. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Jailbreaking is your only option if you need the features you described. DnD silences all notifications and calls, except for favorites or specific groups, while the phone is asleep.

3. Colors6 thread starter macrumors member

That's what I figured.

Jailbreak it is then. :rolleyes:

This is going to be such a PITA, as I will have to jump through hoops every time iOS 6 is upgraded to a new version.

I can't believe Apple has not put call blocker functionality in its device when it's a breeze to do so in Android through 3rd party apps in the Google Play Store.

4. xmnj, Feb 22, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2013

xmnj macrumors member

Yeah, jailbreaking is your best bet, the Do Not Disturb will work but you lose all notifications.

5. Colors6 thread starter macrumors member

Even if I could live without the notifications, the fact that DNB will *only* work when phone is locked/sleeping is a total FAIL.

6. techbul macrumors newbie

They may be adding such features with future updates.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, certainly not a "total FAIL", but maybe just a (small) partial fail at most, and more like a 1.0 version of the functionality (which wasn't there to begin with at all prior to iOS 6.0) that will hopefully be improved and expanded.