Do not disturb only halfway good

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Brownbox, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Brownbox macrumors newbie

I love the 'Do not disturb' ( DND) feature but IMO it has some non human friendly design aspects:

1) there should def be an option that when I select DND that even if the phone is not in sleep/lock mode I can still choose not to be disturbed. Currently DND only seems to work once the phone is In lock. Of course I more often than not want to use the phone for other things than just a phone ( read newspaper/ edit photos / listen to music/ in a meeting and using phone to show photos ect ect and do not want to be disturbed) EXCEPT by the people on my FAV category (which is why putting the phone on vibrate or plane mode is not an option) At the moment DND is only half effective at allowing me not to be disturbed when I choose.

2) If I choose a group of people that I want to be able to contact me even when DND is on then they should be able to also contact me ( and I get audibly notified) by text and email ( well at the very least text!!!). At the moment they have to ring ( but they don't know that) most people will send a text first ( out of politeness) if they want to contact me at a weird hour but of course right now I don't hear that because DND doesn't allow a notification when a text comes in from one of my favs. This just does t make sense because if I choose that someone can disturb me then they should be able to across a number of methods and text is the most obvious one.

Am I the only one who finds the above design features frustrating?
    Many thanks

2. cynics macrumors G3

I can understand your frustration but I hope they don't change either of your points :)

1. If I'm on my phone I want to receive alerts and calls. The best time to distract me and annoy me with my phone is when I'm on it.

2. My friends will text in large group messages throughout the night. They can call me for an emergency.

What I wish they'd do is add a better scheduling system to DnD. I have to turn it on every night or off every weekend. Pretty annoying...

Here's what I mean by a lot of text....

[​IMG]

That was in 5-6 hours. I never would have got to sleep lol!

3. Brownbox thread starter macrumors newbie

I think they just need to give users more selection options to make the DnD feature truly useful- at the end of the day we are all individuals with different needs but a few more options in this case would prob make 99% of us happy. Nothing worse than something that is almost but not quite there.

4. cynics macrumors G3

I agree. An option for me to turn off text alert tones and you to turn on text alert tones from favorites would be a perfect solution.