Do Not Disturb problems?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Lgb0250, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Lgb0250 macrumors newbie

I have my iphone 5 on IOS 7.1.1 set for a schedule for do not disturb of 10pm to 9:59pm. Works great at keeping telemarketers out of my hair.

I have "Manual" set to the off position, the "schedule" set to the on position, the "allow calls from" set to all contacts, repeated calls set to "off". I also have the "silence" button set to "only while iphone is locked.

The problem is that no matter how many times I set the "manual" mode to off, it will reset itself and go back to on after the screen has been locked!

Any ideas of how to solve why the manual mode keeps resetting itself? Thanks

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

"Manual" will always be on when do not disturb is active. This is to indicate that it's on. It wouldn't make sense to give the user the option of turning it on manually while it's already on, would it?

There is no issue with your do not disturb. When it turns on during your scheduled time, manual will show as on. Once your scheduled DnD time is up, manual will show as off, giving you the option to manually then it on for a period of time.

3. Lgb0250 thread starter macrumors newbie

Evidently I didn't explain the problem correctly. I want to receive calls from all of my contacts yet when they come in while the manual mode is active they roll directly into voicemail. No sound and no vibrate, just straight to voicemail. What is the sense in having the ability of who gets through when in this case, nobody does? It just doesn't make sense to have DND active and tell it whom to let through and then have the manual feature not let them through!

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Under do not disturb, allow calls from, what do you have it set to.

5. Lgb0250 thread starter macrumors newbie

All Contacts

6. heycal macrumors 6502a

how'd this play out?

In any event, I'm thinking of getting an iphone and curious about the DND feature. How customizable is it? For example, if I wanted any texts after midnight to arrive silently but any phone calls to actually ring, could I? And could I further set up to say, allow texts and calls from John to make a sound, but only calls from Bill to make a sound, etc?

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

You have some control over calls, but that's basically it as far as notifications--all other ones, including text notifications, will be silenced and alerts won't show up (beyond badge notifications and them appearing in notification center and/or on the lock screen without waking it up).

8. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Wait...you have it set to be on for 23 hours and 59 minutes of the day? Just leave it on manual.

9. heycal macrumors 6502a

Thanks. It would be nice if they get fancier with this feature some day. I can think of many permutations that would be desirable.

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Jailbreak and you can get what you want.

Stock DND+Luna+RingerX VIP=what you are looking for.

Luna is a JB tweak that extends DND to the homescreen. Meaning, it works when the iPhone is unlocked (unlike stock DND. Luna will also display banners for any notification, unlike stock DND which just ignores everything that's not sent by someone allowed to ignore DND. This is useful when you have your iPhone unlocked all night because you use a clock app on your nightstand.

RingerX VIP (Ringers & Tones in iOS 7) lets you set on a contact by contact or group basis, who can ignore DND and what therefore is allowed to get through.

I have DND set on a schedule. But Luna makes sure I still see banners and RingerX VIP will let my family call me at 2am if they need to and the phone rings. RingerX VIP is also good to set contacts to ignore completely. You can tell it to not give you ANY notification of anything if a specific contact trys to get a hold of you.

I'm jailbroken on iOS 6, so iOS 7 probably has some new features, but in any case this is what works for me.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

iOS 7 allows for DND to work when the phone is unlocked as well (or just when locked).

12. heycal macrumors 6502a

All sounds very cool -- but wayyyyy over my head. I'm a 51 year old non-tech type. I'm lucky if I can tap out a short text in under 2 minutes.