iPhone Do not Disturb: they can if the screen is on

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by masvil, Nov 11, 2012.

1. masvil macrumors newbie

masvil

All we know DNS function is a god send. Sometimes it happens I do not want to be disturbed even if the screen is on because I want to focus on what I'm doing with device. Airplane mode is not a good alternative because I need function to allow my favourite contacts to get thro and so on.

What do you think?

2. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

I don't think you can have both. The point of DND is that you still receive notifications but your screen doesn't turn on and the phone won't vibrate so as to not ... disturb you. Set your screen to never auto-lock and you'll see that even in DND mode the notifications still appear. What you want is a one-btton access to toggle all notifications until you're ready to see them again. (I wouldn't be a surprised to learn that there is JB answer)

I would welcome such a setting, because right now, you'd have to go in and temporarily turn them off one by one and then remember to go back and reactivate them.

3. masvil thread starter macrumors newbie

masvil

At this time not.

It could be generally useful, but it cannot filter incoming calls and other DND features (timers etc.). I suppose the best choise could be a DND "even if screen is on" option.

4. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

It seems like you want some kind of "don't bother me while I try to focus on other things" feature, but that's not the opposite of DND. Maybe we need a better explanation of what you want if it's not the alternative I proposed.

Because DND does work when the screen is on, in fact it does the exact same thing that it does when the screen is off (except for the turning on the screen momentarily bit.) Obviously, iOS isn't taking the time to create notification badges and alerts when the screen is off, but the moment you turn on the screen they'll be there waiting for you.

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Here is a good (2) reasons that I want it. I use an alarm program on my iPad called HD Nightstand and a sleep monitor program on my iPhone called Zeo. Both of these keep the screens on but I want Do Not Disturb (no text or phone calls (except Favorites)) to work while I'm asleep.

6. brylliant macrumors regular

brylliant

You're actually asking for a "Notifications Off" switch. The DND is for when you charge your phone overnight and don't want to be disturbed by push notifications, not when you're using the phone.

7. masvil thread starter macrumors newbie

masvil

Concrete scenario: I want to receive calls only from favourites while I'm playing a multiplayer action game. Please note:
    1. banner notification slow down the game, so if one come then I lose the match for sure;
    2. I have dozens of applications from which I receive notifications, I would lose too much time to disable / re-enable all.
    So which is the best solution for me?

Thanks for explanation, very clear :)

A global switch would help a lot.