Do not disturb while driving - Bluetooth phone calls?

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by Patrick P, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Patrick P macrumors member

Hey guys!

I was wondering whether its possible to make phone calls when you have a bluetooth in the car?
    And is it possible to talk to Siri via "Hey Siri" and say something like "send a message to"?

2. tweet17 macrumors newbie

tweet17

I've been thinking exactly the same thing. It seems a lot of people don't think of these scenarios. I was thinking the same for when drivers are using mapping apps - will these be disabled too? Will there be options to customise DND, including customising the message that it automatically sends when you're driving?

3. stulaw11 Suspended

They really only addressed incoming notifications (and only a text at that) in the keynote as in they would not show. They didnt mention that you could not invoke siri or get incoming bluetooth calls if connected.

I cannot imagine they removed the ability to invoke siri or make/receive bluetooth calls when connected to a car.

I can see if you arent connected to bluetooth then that block kicks in; but we cant even test it yet until further betas

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I am sure you will still be able to do those things. Think of CarPlay, which is for the car. You can use music apps on the car display, listen to text/send text via voice, use maps, podcast, and a few others.

Pretty sure it will just stop you from being able to actually read the notifications coming through on your phone display. I think I read somewhere they were basically making it CarPlay for people without head units.

5. mustang52 macrumors member

Has anyone gotten dnd while driving to work? I have mine connected to my head unit via Bluetooth but never trigger dnd.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

It's not something that works in beta 1.

7. mustang52 macrumors member

8. CTHarrryH macrumors 68000

My wonder also - I use CarPlay primarily so I can do messages with read messages, reply etc. with Siri. Hope that isn't going away would sort of kill Carplay

9. Mouse man Suspended

Mouse man

I was wondering when this goes into effect as well. Probably a few more updates I guess

10. BlankStar macrumors regular

BlankStar

11. Larry-Bloom macrumors member

Currenly you can take calls or make calls using Siri, but screen interaction is only available if you disable the feature (you have to say your not driving and unlock using the code not fingerprint)
    --- Post Merged, Jun 30, 2017 ---
    you have the enable it in the setting first and choose the mode (bluetooth or speed)... I like the Idea to turn it on for your children