Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2011
So i got a little problem. I was playing Infinity Blade II for the last few minutes, while having a conversation (imessage) and a facebook chat on my mac. I stated getting notifications on my iphone so I thought I switch on "Do not disturb" do have a quiet gaming session. It didn't work. Still had banners and sound notifications which was really annoying.
Anyone else experienced something similar or could I have missed some settings?
Thanks in advance!

hamis92

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
Finland
I've never used the feature, but I believe the settings only apply when your phone is locked.

That's correct. The only way to prevent notifications from appearing while the device is in use is to actually turn them off in Settings.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
iOS could really do with this option. Mountain Lion lets you turn off alerts and banners from the notification centre.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Do not Disturb... a great idea, but extremely poorly executed.

There's no reason why it doesn't have scheduling options for different days of the week. If I set the times for weekdays, I risk missing important calls on Friday or Saturday nights or being awoken by spam email early on Saturday or Sunday. If I set it for weekends, I'd miss any calls during the morning commute or any other issues.

Considering how much Apple wants iDevices to be used in the business world for presentations and the like, there's no reason why there's no setting to kill ALL notifications completely. The last thing I'd want is an inappropriate text or spam email coming through while I was using an iPad for a meeting... or, as you pointed out, while playing games or simply wanting private time.

Having to go offline isn't an answer as too many things, including presentations, often require an internet connection.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I'd rather think of it as an itinial implementation that will drastically improve with time and releases. At the moment only really useful when you are sleeping and don't truly want to be disturbed by all the spam.:cool:

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
I'd rather think of it as an itinial implementation that will drastically improve with time and releases. At the moment only really useful when you are sleeping and don't truly want to be disturbed by all the spam.:cool:

Pretty much everything about iOS 6 can be described that way... and is part of the reason why my phone lost functions since downgrading from 5.1.

Even worse is that many dumbphones have these features that the 'all mighty' iPhone are struggling with.

brylliant

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
United Kingdom
Do Not Disturb is a feature that isn't really clear.
It turns the screen and sounds off for notifications when your phone is locked.

They should have added another feature that stops notifications completely for a session, when the phone is awake.

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2011
Ok thank you guys. Too bad the feature doesn't work with the screen on (like it does on the mac!)

BRyken

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
Do Not Disturb is a feature that isn't really clear.
It turns the screen and sounds off for notifications when your phone is locked.

They should have added another feature that stops notifications completely for a session, when the phone is awake.

I can see where this would be a good idea. But you would still need the ability to specify which apps CAN bother you, ie Phone.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Ok thank you guys. Too bad the feature doesn't work with the screen on (like it does on the mac!)

While I agree, I think the concept was DND while you're asleep or while you don't want to be on your phone. This concept fails more when I use it on my iPad and at night I still get the e-mails while watching Hulu before bed. At any rate, it is a feature I still like very much.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Or they could just allow us to have notification profiles... Like my old RAZR did in 2002... 'Silent' , or 'Vibe Only' mode anyone?

...one of the things I was talking about when I said:
Even worse is that many dumbphones have these features that the 'all mighty' iPhone are struggling with.

Pretty much every cell phone I had before moving to the iPhone had numerous, customizable profiles. A few phones even had a 'Do Not Ring' option.

Sad that the best way to get those features now is to use Google Voice.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
At the very least they could have left the single on/off switch for Notifications in general, in addition to the DND one, which is somewhat different in the end.

Seems like they added DND, but took away the general on/off switch in the process, yet DND, while similar, isn't really the same type of thing (although they certainly can make it be that too).

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
Do not Disturb... a great idea, but extremely poorly executed.

There's no reason why it doesn't have scheduling options for different days of the week. If I set the times for weekdays, I risk missing important calls on Friday or Saturday nights or being awoken by spam email early on Saturday or Sunday. If I set it for weekends, I'd miss any calls during the morning commute or any other issues.

Considering how much Apple wants iDevices to be used in the business world for presentations and the like, there's no reason why there's no setting to kill ALL notifications completely. The last thing I'd want is an inappropriate text or spam email coming through while I was using an iPad for a meeting... or, as you pointed out, while playing games or simply wanting private time.

Having to go offline isn't an answer as too many things, including presentations, often require an internet connection.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe a toggle to turn off all notifications regardless of being locked or unlocked was available in iOS 4. With iOS 5, I believe Apple removed this, and replaced the availability of that option with individual toggles for all apps, making it just "impossible" to switch off all those "tens and hundreds" of apps one by one.

iOS 6 brought that feature back "halfway" by being applied only to a locked status. Hope they bring back the toggle from iOS 4 maybe in iOS 6.2? (As we don't see much in this area in the iOS 6.1 betas) Or iOS 7 hopefully..

Oh, and I know this digresses slightly.. but they should make the Bluetooth/WiFi toggles right outside, allowing for one tap "On and Off" just like "Airplane mode" and "Do not disturb" and add a slight arrow next to WiFi's toggle for advanced settings. I know Apple's concept is that WiFi and Bluetooth are supposed to be persistent, but there wouldn't be much harm, right?

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
Yeah I run into a similar problem. I use an alarm clock app called, oddly enough, Alarm Clock, and it gives me a nice clock to setup on my nightstand next to me bed whenever I sleep. Turning on DND is pointless because the clock app prevents the phone from locking.

But get this, my Alarm Clock app has problems with the alarm going off whenever the phone is locked. So, I'm either dammed if I do, dammed if I don't.

biosci

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Chicagoland, IL
I'm on of those people who would like all notifications off as well. I'm airplaying a presentation and as I'm doing it, I'm getting the notification bar pop up. That's because airplay mirroring just mirrors exactly what's on your screen.. Including the notifications!

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Already hoping they bring more tweaks and features to DND in iOS 7, can sort of see it coming. Right now it only works when the phone is locked, alerts won't pop up and light up the screen, that's all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.