Do not have sufficient access privileges

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LexiBalunas, May 26, 2009.

1. LexiBalunas macrumors newbie

I just bought a used emac that was used in a school. i created a new account on the computer and i cannot access any files because it says that i do not have sufficient access privileges. There was only one other account on the computer named administrator, but i cannot log into it for some reason. I have my account set as an admin, but i still can't access these files. How do i change this?

The version is Mac OS X 10.4

2. LexiBalunas thread starter macrumors newbie

the root user was already enabled. i disabled it and enabled it again and it still isn't working.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You don't need any files from the other accounts.

4. wackymacky macrumors 65832

wackymacky

You mean you can't login the Admin account because you don't have the password?

Fancy that.

As stated privileges should be able to be changed but the root user if you can't change them within your account.

(If your account is in the Admin Group then you can install and deleate and make systm changes so you don't really need the otther acount anyway.)

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I'd just reinstall the OS so that you have things set up the way you need them.

6. flyingkiwi1 macrumors newbie

Macbook I Have Same Problem

So i forgot my password 10 mins after i set it. my install disk that came with the mac when new, wont allow me to select a harddrive when i click on 'reset password' in utilities, its just got a pic of the install disk. I talked to Mac and he said theres a problem with the HD which i know for a fact there is not and has never been, i think maybe something is set wrong and once the install disk is in, the HD is told to bugger off. I managed to use a keychain on dos? that allowed me to set another admin account which i am using for the net here now, but i need to open my main admin as its got all my pics, vid, docs ect locked aways, with 'no access prvieleges' posted at each file. I cant even click on the admin log-im logo as its darkened. I really dont want to re install OS or anything fancy like that, i have 1000s of pisc i CANT loose! any ideas? 10.5.6

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Does it show up in Disk Utility?

How do you know that for a fact? Hard drives wear out.

In that case, follow these instructions using your old home folder.

Then you should have a backup.