Do NOT install Airport Extreme 7.1 Firmware!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MajereXYU, May 29, 2007.

1. MajereXYU macrumors regular

Just a word of advice to all my fellow MR'ers, do NOT install the 7.1 firmware for your Airport Extreme Base Station.

I know I did this morning and I've had lots of problems. When looking for the solution, I noticed that lots of people (especially over at Apple Support Forums) had similar problems with the 7.1 Firmware.

The problems I experienced were:
    -Inability to access the configuration for my AEBS 9 times out of 10. Had to Power Cycle the base station to access configurations.
    -Inability to access AirDisk, the AEBS would reset itself every time I tried to access, which in turn locked up the Finder (Finder locks up when a shared network drive gets disconnected).
    -Various oddities.

I reverted back to Firmware 7.0 and everything is fine now!

Here's how to do it, in case you're stranded like I was :

1- Delete any firmwares located in ~/Library/Application Support/Apple/Airport/Firmware

2- Open Airport Utility and hold the Option key while clicking the Airport Utility menu (next to the Apple Menu) and choose "Check for updates". If you did it well, you will see a list of Firmware versions, with accompanying graphic. Choose 7.0 (with AEBS graphic) and check the checkbox next to it.

3- Download Firmware

4- Open Airport Utility and choose your AEBS, go to the Airport Pane, Summary Tab and click on "Version" (it should be 7.1) and now choose the correct Firmware to upload (default should be 7.0).

5- (Optional) Since the Software will prompt you to upgrade (again) to 7.1 (which you don't want to do), you can disable update checking to avoid being always prompted to upgrade. To do so, click the Airport Utility menu and click on Preferences. Then simply uncheck the option to auto check for updates.

6- Enjoy AEBS and be wary of next Firmware update. Wait 4-5 days before updating, to make sure there are no problems with it.

2. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I've had no problems with that firmware update.

3. kolax macrumors G3

Never knew there was a firmware update - hasn't popped up in my updates.

Where you get it from?

4. Kermit the frog macrumors regular

Kermit the frog

it didn't pop up for me either. I never EVER download an update that doesn't pop up

5. MajereXYU thread starter macrumors regular