Do NOT install Internet Explorer 7

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by LiveForever, Jan 19, 2008.

1. LiveForever macrumors 6502

Just a warning that ie7 does not work with many many web sites. Sorry if this is old news..

I automatically downloaded it today after been prompted for weeks by the auto update thing and since I have been using it I have had so many problems with favourite web sites not working properly. In the end I did a google search on "ie7 problems" and there are 1000's of entries. Apparently even BBC sites don't fully work with it.

This is not a dig at MS, although one is very much justified as this is such a wide spread problem, but a genuine warning.

Yes my fault for running a PC I know...

This is one site I found which said to stay with Firefox

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=102&threadID=208439&start=0
    Internet Explorer 7 problems
    " By now it's no secret that IE7 breaks a lot of websites.
    What some people may not think about is the fact that, because IE is also a core OS library, a lot of apps will also be affected. They may fail, or they may function incorrectly/differently.

I'd like to see this discussion develop into a reference list of IE7 issues and specific incompatibilities so that others can check here to help find, diagnose, anticipate, and prevent problems.

My personal recommendation to all my clients is to stick with Firefox as their primary browser with the IEtab extension and keep a fully patched IE6. I've also warned them that MS is sending out IE7 as an update. This is an example of why I recommend most people turn off automatic updates and do weekly manual updates, choosing the 'custom' and not 'express' option. It's more work, but unfortunately, necessary."

2. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

To be honest, not used ie7, for such a long time, but will try it tomorrow to see if I suffer the same problems.

Wouldn't recommend doing that, if it's in a business environment I'd put WSUS on a server. That way you could test the updates first and then approve them for users to automatically download from the WSUS server.

3. LiveForever thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry I copied that blurb from that website. For me I have found that sites which use Google Maps don't work properly-deliberate I wonder??? I think not though but a good conspiracy theory!!

I use firefox now and that works fine on sites ie7 spits out.

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I am going to say those web sites are the ones screwed up. IE 7 been out for what over a year now and they have not updated to work with it yet and on top of that they fail to work with the largest non IE browser out there (firefox) then it is a pretty said excuse.

Those websites need to update. IE 7 is a pretty good improvement over IE 6. It has tab browsing with is a huge plus.

5. Scorch07 macrumors 6502

Well I haven't had any issues with IE 7 not working with sites, but if that is the case then it's the site's problem.

That said, I absolutely hate IE 7, so I can't really say for sure on that last point. I use it as little as I possibly can when I'm on a PC, and I really think it's a terrible improvement over IE 6. Sure, they added some neat new features, but they didn't do much in the way of speeding it up to Firefox's standards, and they moved EVERYTHING around. You can't take a familiar interface that is pretty much an industry standard and then move all of the buttons around. Even people I know that regularly use it aren't used to where everything was moved to. Terrible update.

6. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

IE 6 is abysmal which is a tremendous improvement over IE 7. However, if you've ever used IE 5 for Mac, it's merely crap, and IE 4.5 is so bad I don't really want to talk about it.

If you're on a PC, go with Firefox. If you're on a Mac, go wit Camino. (IMHO, FF for Mac is a tad slow)

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm using 7 right now. Works for what I want it to...
    Course Safari is better on the Mac side.

8. ~David macrumors regular

~David

I use IE7 on Windows and have absolutely no problems with it. I haven't had any problems with any site since (including BBC) so I don't know what you're talking about.

And as Rodimus mentioned, IE7 has been out for a year and a few months now, if a site doesn't work it's not because IE7, it's because that web admin has been too lazy to update their site.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

10. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I use IE7 exclusively on my Vista machine now and don't encounter any problems with it.

The BBC website works fine with it as well.

One thing I have noticed is that whilst originally you needed a legit copy of xp to install it, recently it changed and now you don't need a legit copy to download IE7.

11. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

If I need to browse the internets on Windoze I just use Firefox.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Internet Explorer 7 is fine. I use it just fine on Vista, if you search for <insert name of item here> problems you will get loads of hits.

13. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv

I dont use ie7 on my pc I use Safari like on my Mac

14. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

I've never had any problems with IE7, but at the same time I don't really use it that much.

Firefox 4 lyfe, yo.;)

15. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

FireFox for Windows
    Safari for Mac

And the opposites works too

16. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

If you're running OS 9, your only choices are IE 5 or iCab, and iCab has to be the buggiest peice of software I have ever used. IE 5 isn't bad, it's just ugly.

17. LiveForever thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't realise it had been out a year-maybe I had delayed the automatic update somehow?

I honestly don't have an axe to grind with ie7 but I had trouble with sites not working when previously I had no problems. As I mentioned I had problems with google map and map mashup sites. I did a search on google and did come up with find lots of results saying it is an issue eg

http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Maps-API/browse_thread/thread/eecde62c98f66917

Mostly it works fine and I am quite pleased with how pages are dispalyed. Makes fonts look nice I think.

BUT it doesn't always work and I don't care if it is the websites which are at fault or ie7- I really don't care and I'm not going to contact teh webiste owners and tell them about it. I just know if I can't use these stes I will use a browser which works for them.

I have reverted to firefox on my PC and safari . firefox on our imac and have never had problems Iv'e had with ie7.

From what Iv'e read ie7 is super pinickity to bad coding which could be argued as a good thing but also could be argued as a very bad thing. If its that sensitive, it will stop millions of sites from working which aren't perfectly written.

18. nikopolidis macrumors regular

Well, I have no problems with IE7. There was no any troubles with any website. Moreover I enjoy it much! I used to get rid of Opera and install IE. One of the reasons for me to like it is that IE remember e-mail addresses. :)

19. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I take issue with microsoft not complying with standards unfortunately effectively making their own requirements a standard.

20. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

I haven't had any compatibility problems with IE7 for about the past year.

21. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'm using IE7 on this vista machine and its doing what I need it to do.....well I'm not on windows a lot to run test but I'll give it a shot.

Bless

22. Cloudane macrumors 65816

Cloudane

I'm one of those very rare people who's never had a problem with IE7 (or Vista). I'd originally put people's rejection to them down to fear of change, lots of people *hate* it when an app or OS is updated and acts differently to what they're used to. But I guess they're causing a lot of problems.

Still prefer Firefox/Safari/Mac though.

23. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I use IE7 on my MacBook under Parallels and on my iMac under Boot Camp. Works great. I actually prefer it over Firefox.. it just feels stabler somehow... don't hate me :p