Do NOT install Thunderbolt update!!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Bampei, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Bampei macrumors member

Bampei

Kernel panics reported all over the net after installing the latest Thunderbolt driver update on 10.7.4 on MBP's.... all models.

It will not load, and on reboot will cause kernel panic that will require a reload of Lion from recovery mode.

Many, many people having the issue and Apple has yet to address it.:mad:

I'm on my SECOND reload of Lion from the Recovery system after having finally found out what caused the issue in the first place. GRRRRRR!!!

You have been warned!

2. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

Everything working here.

I hope it's solved for you quickly.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Same here, it's odd, I wonder if it's being narrowed down at all? My 17" MBP 8 month old updated first time, no issues at all, but as the OP says its all over the tech sites. Corrupt downloads? Unlikely, a few yes, but not as many as are being seen. Lucky I guess.

4. aoaaron macrumors 6502

worked fine here but will watch out.. damn dont even have my **** backuped up!

5. unknowsk macrumors newbie

I've the same problem with this update ... wrrr ...

[MacBook Pro 13" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB 1333MHz DDR3, HDD 320GB, OSX 10.7.4]

6. Bampei, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012

Bampei thread starter macrumors member

Bampei

No resolution from Apple TS

Just got off an hour call with Apple Tech Support.

They had me go through a Safe Boot login and retry. Did NOT resolve. Exactly the same issue.:mad:

We ended the call with them saying they basically had no idea what's up. (Even tried to blame it my RAM... right... I guess the many people having the same issue all have the same "RAM" problem!):(

Apple needs to pull this update NOW! I am now having to sit through ANOTHER OS X reload... sigh....

Anyone want to take a bet that Thunderbolt update 1.2 disappears from their update queue by 5 PM today??? I'll put serious cash on that bet!:)

Cheers

7. borostef macrumors 6502

borostef

I have installed this update on my Mini, and so far no problems.
    Fingers crossed :cool:

8. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Huh. I had it sitting ready to install last night, but didn't go through with it because I was ready to leave work and didn't want to wait. I guess I'll hold off for now (I don't have any Thunderbolt products anyways, so no harm done).

jW

9. murrayE macrumors member

Apple knows about the Thunderbolt update issue

Although I fixed the Thunderbolt-to-Gigabit-Ethernet software update crash (kernel panic) myself by re-installing Lion, I did speak with a techie under my AppleCare coverage just to be sure it was reported.

The techie told me Apple hasn't made any announcement about this yet, but she personally had handled several calls about the same issue.

10. Bampei thread starter macrumors member

Bampei

The update has been removed!

Wow! Didn't take till 5:00. it's GONE! I win! Who owes me money now??:D

Expect 1.2.1 or 1.3 in the next week or so.

Good riddance! (Three longgggggg OS X reloads)

11. Ves macrumors member

Ves

This driver hurt my MacBook badly. Not only did my OS get screwed. But my RAM went bad (probably a few days) and I lost my HDD contents.

A sad few days for me :(