Do NOT install Thunderbolt update!!!!!

Bampei

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
Kernel panics reported all over the net after installing the latest Thunderbolt driver update on 10.7.4 on MBP's.... all models.

It will not load, and on reboot will cause kernel panic that will require a reload of Lion from recovery mode.

Many, many people having the issue and Apple has yet to address it.:mad:

I'm on my SECOND reload of Lion from the Recovery system after having finally found out what caused the issue in the first place. GRRRRRR!!!

You have been warned!

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Everything working here.

I hope it's solved for you quickly.
Same here, it's odd, I wonder if it's being narrowed down at all? My 17" MBP 8 month old updated first time, no issues at all, but as the OP says its all over the tech sites. Corrupt downloads? Unlikely, a few yes, but not as many as are being seen. Lucky I guess.

Comment

aoaaron

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
worked fine here but will watch out.. damn dont even have my **** backuped up!

Comment

unknowsk

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2012
I've the same problem with this update ... wrrr ...

[MacBook Pro 13" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB 1333MHz DDR3, HDD 320GB, OSX 10.7.4]

Comment

Bampei

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
No resolution from Apple TS

Just got off an hour call with Apple Tech Support.

They had me go through a Safe Boot login and retry. Did NOT resolve. Exactly the same issue.:mad:

We ended the call with them saying they basically had no idea what's up. (Even tried to blame it my RAM... right... I guess the many people having the same issue all have the same "RAM" problem!):(

Apple needs to pull this update NOW! I am now having to sit through ANOTHER OS X reload... sigh....

Anyone want to take a bet that Thunderbolt update 1.2 disappears from their update queue by 5 PM today??? I'll put serious cash on that bet!:)

Cheers

Last edited:
Comment

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Huh. I had it sitting ready to install last night, but didn't go through with it because I was ready to leave work and didn't want to wait. I guess I'll hold off for now (I don't have any Thunderbolt products anyways, so no harm done).

jW

Comment

murrayE

macrumors member
May 4, 2011
Apple knows about the Thunderbolt update issue

Although I fixed the Thunderbolt-to-Gigabit-Ethernet software update crash (kernel panic) myself by re-installing Lion, I did speak with a techie under my AppleCare coverage just to be sure it was reported.

The techie told me Apple hasn't made any announcement about this yet, but she personally had handled several calls about the same issue.

Comment

Bampei

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
The update has been removed!

Anyone want to take a bet that Thunderbolt update 1.2 disappears from their update queue by 5 PM today??? I'll put serious cash on that bet!:)
Wow! Didn't take till 5:00. it's GONE! I win! Who owes me money now??:D

Expect 1.2.1 or 1.3 in the next week or so.

Good riddance! (Three longgggggg OS X reloads)

Comment

Ves

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2009
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
This driver hurt my MacBook badly. Not only did my OS get screwed. But my RAM went bad (probably a few days) and I lost my HDD contents.

A sad few days for me :(

Comment