Do Not Like The New MacBook Pro With Retina Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eljanitor, Dec 16, 2013.

1. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

I'd really like to know why Apple decided to redesign the Mac Book Pro completely. Why did they replace the hard drives in their Mac Book Pro with Flash Storage? All Mac Book Pros with retina display don't offer you the option of a hard drive anymore, only flash storage. What is the reason behind this decision?

With 512 GB being the highest possible storage size being shipped from Apple, and 128 GB being the lowest you are limited to what you can store on your laptop. This means that you can't transfer the 800 GB of stuff from your old Mac Book Pro that has a hard drive to your new Mac Book Pro. You will need to buy an external hard drive, and carry it around with you. Or try another option.

I think an internal 2.5" SSD drive might be a bit more desirable then what was done but Apple doesn't think so. So now you have an odd shaped piece of storage inside your laptop, and if you'd like to put in a 2.5" SSD or a 2.5 " HD you're just out of luck. I don't know if I'm the only one who really doesn't like this. It's like Apple is slowly taking away your ability to affordably modify an already extremely overpriced machine.

The Apple desktops still ship with hard drives, so are they trying to just make the laptops thinner? Is that's why there's no Ethernet port anymore too? Why do I need one when I have wireless? Why would I need an Ethernet port, when I have Thunderbolt ports that are faster? I guess the RJ45 port isn't widely used anywhere anymore on anything so who needs it on a laptop right? Kinda like why do I need a laptop if I have an iPad?

Firewire 400 and 800 are also slower then Thunderbolt, and it looks like they will be phased out and replaced because the Firewire 800 port is gone now too. So time to get ready to upgrade your equipment multimedia professionals if you haven't already done so. Make sure your cameras have a Thunderbolt connection, and if they don't, well hey professional video cameras are really cheap so just throw away your old one and buy a new one right?

I don't see this as a machine for certain professionals in the computer field anymore who use a computer. So maybe we can call it the Mac Book Almost Pro? Thank you Apple for making a larger Mac Book Air, and slapping the label Mac Book Pro on it.

2. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

They do offer a 1TB SSD on the Retina MacBook Pro's if you need some more storage. They chose to go all flash because it's faster and allows them to build slimmer machines.

3. nateofmelb macrumors regular

nateofmelb

4. Vinamra macrumors regular

Vinamra

Slimmer and lighter :)

5. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

You could put your thoughts in THIS thread

To your points:
    1. Both the 13" and 15" rMBP have a 1TB SSD option
    2. I think desktops come with HDD because they are desktops! The Macbook Pro is a mobile device and it is the stupidest thing to put a moving part (HDD) in a mobile device.
    SSD are superior to HDD in every aspect. File transfer, Program start times, Head development ....
    3. about the Ethernet: I guess it was: Build a machine with it, where 9 out of 10 people don't use it, or build it without und offer an adapter
    4. There are adapters for Firewire too, so no need to buy a new camera

And about the Pro statement. YOU can call it whatever you want, but there are a lot of people here (some professional, some not) that are very happy. Just because you want a dinosaur (HDD) and the rMBP doesn't offer it, doesn't mean it's not a good machine for the rest of us

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

7. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Smaller, Faster and LONGER Battery Life..

I think primarily the Flash Storage solves the 'everyone wants Smaller, Faster and LONGER Battery Life' issues... for me, adding a 1 or 2TB external USB gets me anything else I 'need' as far as portability..

That being said, sorry that you do not like the machine, and if NO ONE Buys it then 'YOU are Correct' ~ But, I think a few million may have been sold.. and Counting.. So far.. Good luck with your Quest!! :p

8. lagisibuk macrumors 6502

i think, retina is sexy :D
    but, u can change display setting to other resolution that you want.
    some profesional people need retina display to complete their jobs/task.

9. kwokaaron macrumors 6502a

kwokaaron

It is a "Pro" aesthetically though ;)

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Pure and simple pro is a marketing term. If the rMBP does not fit your needs, then find another computer that does. For me, its been a great purchase.

I can't answer (or even justify) the use of proprietary storage but I will say the rMBP has been the best laptop I ever bought. I don't miss the optical drive and the 256gb storage has been more then enough for me.

One size doesn't fit all, and if you don't like the design, or form factor then don't spend your money.

11. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

12. Orr macrumors 6502

Orr

The previous decade just called and is wondering when you will return OP.

13. eljanitor thread starter macrumors 6502

eljanitor

I'm just dissapointed with Apple in general for so many little things that they've done over the years to various products. Sometimes things are great, like OSX having a Unix based command line vs the previous versions. Sometimes things aren't so great, like being limited to what I can put in my machine, because its not a universally available part as it once was.

If you want to spend alot of money the Mac Book Pro is a great laptop. I have a hard time paying more for looks, and form factor vs functionality. I'm gradually starting to dislike Apple products because of the new proprietary designs that they are incorporating more and more. I also don't think that I should pay extra for an adapter when buying a laptop that costs $1500- 2000 and up for things like Ethernet.

14. cube macrumors G5

Apple only caters to consumers now, professionals must bend to it if they can and want a Mac.

15. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

You have a lot of opinions. That aside, the new machine can do most everything the old ones could, and will do it faster. You lose a few things (like dual drives) in favor of things like longer battery life and a slimmer form factor. Really, it's a reasonable trade-off.

Maybe you should consider the Dell XPS 15. It's a good machine, and given that you indicated you're cost sensitive, perhaps that's a better bet for you.

16. cs02rm0 macrumors member

I selected mine with 1TB.

I use cloud servers and a NAS drive for anything beyond that, no big deal.

17. Pheo macrumors regular

Think this is probably one of the reasons:

[​IMG]
    2013 rMBP 15" Speed Test by Pheo, on Flickr

That and making the thing smaller. I'll quite happily tradeoff the space vs the speed (12 second boot time anyone?)

18. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

From my perspective getting rid of old tech or making it external is a leap forward.

CDROM - Remote drive or USB
    VGA - why is this still on so many notebooks?
    Ethernet - 802.11ac or adapter
    SSD too small - DAS, NAS, cloud are the future
    FW800 - adapter

19. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

If you've noticed the edge of the new machines are thinner than an Ethernet port and almost thinner than a traditional 2.5" HDD.

Also, I do a lot of photography and have a lot of media in general on my computer. How are you filling your drive? I recall that Apple offers up to 1TB of blazing PCIe SSD space (which is literally 10X faster than your hard drives), and I can barely manage to fill 30% of that space. Do you store all of your past projects on your laptop? I think you need to be more efficient with managing your space.

Also, you seem to be in the minority of people who value form factor over a $29 adaptor. If you're plugged into Ethernet and Firewire so often, why don't you just use a desktop?

I think you're disappointed because your needs are different from those of almost all other consumers. The 15" MacBook Pro can't even be called overpriced anymore - it's got some of the fastest mobile processors available (if you choose the 2.6GHz i7-4950HQ, the second fastest), a reasonably fast TDP-limited GPU, massive amounts of blazing fast PCIe SSD storage, a class-leading 2880x1800 IPS display, a beautiful and light form factor, great speakers, and class leading battery life.

20. gumby33 macrumors newbie

21. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

considering flash is the most reliable form of storage available, i'd argue it's the most "pro" thing about the retina macbook pro. and to be honest, i'm tired of all the complaining, if you don't like it buy something else. Apple doesn't adhere to your single definition of pro.

22. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

I cannot imagine filling up 512GB in any fashion that leaves you unable to use external storage. Maybe if you have a LOT of Steam games? A good friend of mine who does video editing professionally is all macs and he's always surrounded by external drives, so I'm a little baffled to hear just why 512GB isn't good enough.

"Are they trying to make them thinner and lighter?" Duh.

23. leman macrumors 604

Well, the Dell is not that much cheaper. Of course, if one wants to use a HDD, it is a very good option. Although, I don't understand why someone would want to gimp their machine with lower-performing storage... unless they absolutely need tons of it (can't really imagine a realistic usage case though).