Do Not NOT Disturb

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Amigalander, May 1, 2015.

1. Amigalander macrumors regular

I like the scheduled DND feature of the iPhone. But sometimes I WANT to be disturbed. For example, if my business security alarm goes off in the middle of the night, I want the text message to come thru.

Putting the contact in favorites still blocks texts. Is there a way for my alarm company to disturb me thru text?

2. mpavilion macrumors 6502a

I have the same issue -- would prefer for texts from my Favorite contacts to come through during DND; not just their calls. Don't think it can be done, sadly...

3. Shikaka macrumors regular

Do you know how to create ringtones?

Create a silent ringtone (a couple seconds of no noise). When you don't want to be distributed, set your default ringtone to the silent ringtone that you created. Next, open your alarm company's contact info and set their Text tone to whatever you want.

When anyone tries to text or call, your phone will just play the silent ringtone. When your alarm company sends a text, the phone will play the text tone you set in contacts.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Unfortunately, at least so far, messages have not been included as something that can be set to be allowed while DND is enabled, just calls.

5. Amigalander thread starter macrumors regular

The ringtone workaround seems interesting. The problems I see are:

-the iPhone screen still lighting up at night,
    -making sure vibrate is set to off at night,
    -making sure other notifications are silent at night,
    -making sure email is silent at night,
    -undoing all these settings in the morning.

Remembering to change all these settings every night and every morning leaves plenty of room for error. Is there any way to automate any of this?

6. Shikaka macrumors regular

Yeah, it's always tough when you're trying to achieve two opposing goals simultaneously. Kinda like when my girlfriend tells me she's hungry because she has no food at home, but she doesn't feel like going out to eat.

You might be a good candidate for a pager (do they still make those?) or a second phone dedicated to receiving texts for your alarm. Best of luck.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Best thing is really for Apple to provide a similar option for messages as they do for calls as far as DND goes. Not sure why they haven't done it so far.