Do Not Purchase The rMBP 13 Hype

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by omegasyn, Nov 26, 2012.

1. omegasyn macrumors regular

What can I say.... I came from a MBP 15 anti-glare i7 to a rMBP 15 i7 2.5 and then lastly downgraded to the rMBP 13 i5 2.5 due to the boat anchor size of the 15.

Now let me to get down to the truth about the retina's. The screen is great and all but that novelty wears off QUICKLY. At the end of the day, you're buying an slimmed down macbook pro 13 with a better display and 2 thunderbolt ports.

If I were someone in the situation of acquiring the 13 rMBP, I would really consider getting the MBA 13 w/ 8GB ram and i7 instead.

The only real difference between the MBA 13 and rMBP 13 would be the retina and hdmi... Both processors boosts up to 3.0 ghz but the MBA is slow idle speeds, both are intel 4000, both max out at 8GB ram, both have USB 3, and both have thunderbolt (except for the extra output on the rMBP 13).

Nothing much to say LOL....

2. racer1441 macrumors 68000

retina is the killer feature. The air looks like fuzzy garbage compared to the retina on the 13 and he 15.

3. omegasyn thread starter macrumors regular

Fuzzy? no... A lot more pixeled? yes.

If anyone reading also use an external monitor, the purpose of the retina completely useless...

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I stopped reading when you referred to a 15" i7 as a "boat anchor." Really? Boat anchor?

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I thought hype was free. Why should I have to purchase it?

I keed, I keed... :D

6. omegasyn thread starter macrumors regular

Slight exaggeration but if you go from a 15 to 13, especially from cMBP 15 to rMBP 13, you will feel the same. That is unless you're never mobile.

7. JellyFish macrumors regular

I bought one yesterday, and I'm loving it. The form factor is perfect. The screen is obviously gorgeous. I've seen no scrolling stutter or lag. I was even able to get WOW to run fine on it.

I am not sure why you are in hate mode over this laptop, but I really like mine. I hope you are able to find something that you like as much as I like my 13 inch rMBP.

I encourage anyone considering one to actually use one at the Apple Store first. I had read a lot of negative remarks about it, but promptly changed my mind once I was able to use one in person.

8. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Are you planning on using you laptop as a desktop? Sometimes, yes, but days on end? Buy a imac or mac mini and a 11 inch air.

It is fuzzy. I wasn't even mentioning the vomit creating pixelation.

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'd much rather have the faster 2.5GHz i5 and the retina screen. The HD4000 in the rMBP is also slightly faster.

Anyway, when the MBA is configured with the i7, 8GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD, it's $1699 from Apple. I think I've seen $100 discounts on models like this(to be totally honest I haven't paid close attention to the sale prices on the Air). I've seen the base i5 rMBP with the 256GB SSD sell for $1799 at some local retailers recently. I know which one I'd be buying.

10. racer1441 macrumors 68000

I believe it's people who cannot get their heads wrapped around this new world. (Not saying at all this applies to the OP of this thread, but making generalizations for this response).

You hear the same complaints...It's not a "Pro" machine, no dedicated graphics, yadda yadda yadda.

Apple's business model is to get 90% of the people 90% of what they need. Does that leave some out, yes. People who want big honking hard drives, cd/dvd drives, dedicated graphics....but you know what, 90% of the people who see the 13 rMBP get all warm and gushy over it. Apple wants these machines to be the Macbook Professional, not the Pro. Maybe the graphics people and video people aren't going to like it, but every business meeting I go into these days, more and more people are using macs (Big and small businesses included). These are professionals, but no the old guard Pro users.

The world is changing, and I think it's for the better.

11. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Wish I would have done the same. The rest of the post just went downhill.

12. omegasyn thread starter macrumors regular

According to whom? lol....

13. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

Yeah, you definitely sound like somebody who makes careful, informed purchasing decisions. Everybody should definitely listen to your advice.

14. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

According to Intel. Although, now that I'm reading the specs on the CPU more closely, it's simply the base graphics frequency on the Core i7 3667U processor that is lower. Overall they're probably about the same.

Either way, for a $100-300 price difference, I'd still probably go with the rMBP.

15. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

What was the hype? If you were smart and did your research, you would know that the premium you're paying is solely for the retina display and smaller form factor.

16. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

I remember reading they were different as well, but it didn't translate into any real performance differences.

Anandtech comments on it:

"I'd consider the 13-inch MacBook Pro [retina] enough for light, casual gaming, or basically anything you'd run on a MacBook Air - but nothing more."

Agreed on the rMBP. If you can find a great deal and the price difference is minimal, there really isn't a reason to get the air over the rMBP IMO.

17. wiznet macrumors regular

And SSD.

18. Haifisch macrumors regular

Really? I must be ripped then.