Do NOT Trust the GPS

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ErikCLDR, Oct 21, 2007.

1. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

This kinda reminds me of the NBC Office season 4 premier.

So last night a friend and I were driving after 11:00. We were bored and hungry. My GPS claimed that there was a KFC in the bordering town in massachusetts, which was like 6 miles away. We assumed it probably wasn't open but really we just went because we didn't believe it was there since the town is like redneck and only has like 1 business.

We followed the GPS' directions to the "KFC" which ended up being this like farm. My friend was driving my car because he wanted to try it out. He wanted to turn around but I pointed out the map on the GPS said that the road connected turned left and connected with another road so that way he wouldn't have to turn around. So we kept driving but the road basically just turned into someone's driveway, so he started to back up but was afraid, so we switched so I was driving. I backed up the road, backed into someone's driveway so I could pull forward. We drove for like 2-3 minutes, we even stopped to look at this weird scare crow.

Then out of nowhere these two cars are behind us, tailgating. I deal with it for a while and then one passes me. The car in back is still tailgating. Then all of a sudden the car that passed me slams on his brakes while in the other lane and turns, as if to cut me off. But he didn't come into my lane. I assumed they were just *******s, so I pulled over thinking they would pass... no, they didn't. One car pulled along side mine and a late teenage boy is like "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING IN MY DRIVEWAY!!!", I see a man in his forties scream basically the same thing, running at my car with his fist drawn. My friend and I were confused as hell so I floored it cause it was scaryyy. We proceeded to drive fast as the cars were STILL chasing us. They had a Nissan Altima and some old Nissan sports car. Obviously, I was not going to escape them in my 5600lb Rover that goes 0-60 in 11.2 seconds. I contemplated calling the police but there was no service and I didn't really want to have my parents find out. Eventually i stopped because I just wanted it to end I guess. I stupidly rolled down the window all the way (damn auto windows) and the guy grabbed me by the neck and basically started to choke me.

He told me that I was a punk, I wasn't going to get anything from his son, that I don't know who I am messing with, not come around anymore, all that stuff... if I was "with" (affiliated) "Travis". Then some dodge pickup truck roars by driving on like the grass on the side of the road and just drives off. Apparently that was "Travis".

The guy was drunk as hell and there was no reasoning with him. I told him the story but he was still infuriated. His son finally was like "dad stop" and then a car was coming and his son got really worried because the car was coming and could probably see that he was grabbing my neck. Eventually he calmed down and told me not to mess with him.

Summary for people that probably don't want to read all of that
    - Late Night, KFC, Bad GPS, No KFC, Driveway, High Speed Chase, Drug Dealers???, Getting choked, scary ****

Morals of the Story
    - Don't trust the GPS
    - Never pull into someone's driveway
    - It's not possible to reason with a drunk redneck drug dealer
    - There is no KFC in the town
    - Don't randomly drive around around midnight

It was bizarre. I've never had such a misconception like this every happen to me. I hope I haven't somehow engaged myself into some sort of drug war.

2. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Believe it or not, that's not the worst story of customer service I've ever heard regarding a KFC.

3. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

I went into a KFC one day for lunch and the girl behind the counter said "I'm sorry but we don't have any chicken." I said "What do you mean, you don't have any chicken, this is a KFC!" and she said "Yes I know, but we ran out and the delivery truck is running late." She did however offer me french fries and that neon green salad, just no chicken.

It was like a Monty Python sketch or something.

4. Xanis macrumors member

That's crazy. KFC is delicious, but I don't know that it was worth it for all of the crap you encountered. :p

5. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

I think you mean this one

6. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

I thought rednecks didn't exist in the north ;) At least that is what most northerns pride themselves in when they come to the south :rolleyes:

Nuc

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Time to turn that adventure into a movie, worked for White Castles. :p

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I think they're less abundant in the north :D

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

No, there really aren't any rednecks in the north. Up north, we just generally call those people ***holes. ;)

I'd trust GPS, but not over common sense. ;) If the GPS said there was a KFC over there, but I saw a farm where the KFC should have been, I wouldn't have turned there. See? Simple.

10. ErikCLDR thread starter macrumors 68000

Well I guess if you wanted to be politically correct, no they are not rednecks, they are white trash I guess. :p

Anyways, I told my mom, she freaked out, she somehow found out anyways. Its good to get something like that off your chest.

To Abstract- it looked like any other residential neighborhood street, not somewhere where you would expect drug dealers.

11. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv

wow all in one night nothing like that has ever happened to me the closest thing that happened to me like that was my nieghobor house was shot at and struct by lightling :(

12. Xanis macrumors member

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

lol, agreed. It's quite simple. With most GPSes, well, mine at least, if there's an obstruction ahead on the route it's giving me, I just turn at the next street or turn around, the second it realizes I'm off course, it will recalculate my route.

Works great too. Best example I can think of is when I had to go from West St. Louis County to downtown in rush hour. My Garmin told me to take one highway which I knew is terrible and had 2 lanes closed. (Highway 40, anyone from STL knows what I'm talking about). Knowing that I could take a different interstate to my destination, I exited Highway 40 to take I-270 down to I-44, and the second my Garmin realized I was on the 40-270 ramp, it recalculated and had me going exactly the route I wanted. So why anyone would follow a GPS's directions like that is beyond me.

BTW, I love GPSes :D

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Wow, I bet that was a bit scary. No phone signal and "broke" GPS? With angry people and odd events, sounds like the Twilight Zone or something!

We haven't had many adventures with GPS. My friend said he wanted to go to Mt. Snowdon one day, but we ended up just going to Rhyl, buying a blow up dhingy and a few oars and set off into the sea for a pirate adventure. But it grew cold so we just jumped back into the car and went home. THE END. ;)

But yea. GPS seems to be bang on around here. It even marks the huge drive ways as private roads. This is a Tom Tom 910 or something.

15. ErikCLDR thread starter macrumors 68000

It kinda reminded me of an episode of 24 and I would be some character on a mission that is interrupted by being in the wrong place at the wrong time... if you know what I mean.

I have this great desire to call Magellan and yell at them (even though its not their fault really), but the GPS messed up 2x.

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Consider yourself extremely lucky. GPSes usually only have about a ~15 foot accuracy, which is more than enough margin of error to guide you over a cliff ;)

18. ErikCLDR thread starter macrumors 68000

I actually went to KFC today, it took me 39 minutes to get my food.

People there were pissed off. I called the "if our service does not exceed your expectations call this number" which was just the number of the place.

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Wait....you went to KFC and were expecting good service? You should know better than that. I hope you weren't expecting good food too :D

20. Xanis macrumors member

I find the situation odd. I have a Magellan Maestro 4040 and I've never had a problem yet.

21. ErikCLDR thread starter macrumors 68000

I forget my model number, but it was like $250.

Look up fast food restaurants that come up in zip code 01034 aka Granville, MA. There should not be one there.

22. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i have that navigation that comes with lexus and its awesome i rely on it too much i think, but its never wrong, it gets to and from my destinations. I typed in wendys and it mine took me a shady place with no wendys, i guess it went out of business. Mine is DVD based and i guess its time to update it. ;)

23. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

I would have told the redneck drug dealer this :

"I know what you're doing. I'm working with the cops, and so is the mole in your little group. It's your move you little-weenie SOB"

After I turn up in a local river (which you could probably erroneously point out on your GPS) three days later, a young screenplay writer would get inspired to write my story and I would be vindicated when the movie premiers on lifetime staring Olympia Dukakis.

On a side note, you can demean ANYTHING prefixing the word "little" to it

24. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i don't even use gps. i only go off on what i have on a recent map and memorization and perhaps local knowledge. paper maps ftw.