Do not turn on iCloud library

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by bluedoggiant, Jul 1, 2015.

1. bluedoggiant, Jul 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2015

bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Been using apple music all day. Just wanted to rant:

First the positive: I am enjoying the service and being able to discover music I haven't heard before. I never subscribed to spotify or anything so probably nothing new here but I've liked most of the curated playlists of I've seen. Seriously considering holding onto the service after the trial.

The bad:
    its buggy as hell.

I enabled iCloud library on my mac but did not do so on my iPhone.

On my Mac:
    First of all it botched up my entire library. For example, sometimes I will download a single, then later when I get the whole album, I'll go and manually change the single's album name to the album and change the artwork. This got reversed.
    The play counts for many of my songs have been inexplicably erased - super annoying if you have "most played" smart playlists.

I am not sure if any more damage has been done, I am scared to go find out. I read somewhere that DRM-Free files were being replaced with DRM files if you deleted a song you previously purchased then redownloaded from the cloud. I thought it did this with one song but it appears to still have the .m4a extension.

On the iPhone:
    Didn't turn on the iCloud library on my iPhone cuz of the message saying it would replace or merge my library. sounds like a ****in mess. reminds me of the .mac/mobileme days of fixing contacts.

Biggest confusion is the Add to my music/ make available offline function. I figured it out. And its bugged.

When the iCloud library is off, when you select either of those options, the dialog will come up saying you need to enable it. However it will still add the iPhone icon in the corner of the song name, even though the error dialog came up? and then when selecting the (...) you can supposedly "remove the download" that you never downloaded anyway because iCloud library is off? Anyone else see how this is already shaping up to be a mess?

Going into your library, the music you own:
    For music you have purchased from the iTunes store, you can "remove from your music" is supposed to delete, and apparently also delete on your other devices. But how is that possible if iCloud music is off? (Non iTunes purchases only have delete button). Remove download only removes it from your device but you can stream. Yet when I turn on airplane mode the song plays fine. At this point, where does iTunes syncing factor in?

Point is, unless you know what you're doing, don't enable iCloud library. and don't mess with that "offline" "add to my music" "remove downloads" buttons that are so damn confusing, and don't even function properly.

Another annoyance: the "For you" tab will give you a collection of album recommendations, it will randomly chose clean and explicit versions of albums. Why not do all clean or all explicit? Whats the logic here?

Also, showing "Albums" in "My music" shows the album names, sorted by artist, making the section useless.

just fyi, i enabled iCloud library on my mac not fully understanding what it was, and yes, I do have a backup of my old library.

UPDATE:
    With regards to the botched play counts.
    For example on album (NWTS by Drake), I purchased this album from iTunes, for some reason half the songs in no order just had their play counts wiped? tf?

UPDATE2:

Apparently replacing itl file from a back up will fix the problem:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7104745

UPDATE3:
    The above fixed my issue.

UPDATE4:
    Some random 100 of my songs cannot be found now..I have to manually link them up even though they are in the iTunes Music folder where they belong...

UPDATE5:
    Now the whole thing is corrupted. Restoring the entire library from a backup, all mp3s...

UPDATE6:
    Now my backup is not restoring because it is claiming I do not have enough free space available on my Mac...I have more than enough.

Apple music is still a mess. Avoid iCloud music library, avoid "remove from my music" "add to my music" "make available offline" "remove downloads" functions on iPhone. iTunes seems to be more stable..

2. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I completely destroyed my library and now that my backup is also corrupted, I'm stuck with it. 13 years of music is pretty much gone of mismatched now. What a mess

3. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Bummer.... Time Machine back up?

4. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

Time machine won't restore it past 10% and the disk won't even mount so I can manually do it. This is the first time I've ever had this issue. I might be stuck with the ****ed up iCloud version of my library forever unless I can fix my time machine disk

5. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

my whole library is suddenly corrupted. I am just going to restore the whole thing from backup
    never had problems with iTunes before.

6. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Works fine for me. However, if what happened to you guys happened to me, I would be the proud owner of a smashed phone.

7. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Got mine all fixed...

My two big question marks are:

I don't understand for the life of me is why music that i SYNCED to my iPhone, as in, available offline, has the option to be made "available offline" on my iPhone.

Shouldn't the option be remove downloads since its obviously already offline?

And why the hell when you view "albums" in My music, it sorts it by artist alphabetically??
    so ****in pointless.