Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jon'sLightBulbs

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2005
Chicago
Although I'm sympathetic to your loss, I have no idea what that picture illustrates. Unfortunately, your terse post doesn't help much either. What's the problem now?

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Why would you trust all those hard drives to USB? i thought USB drives were unreliable compared to FW. I would not try to update a drive unless it was FW, but that's just me and that may not be the problem anyway. You got a lot of hds, btw.

ryan42

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Near Houston, TX
Sorry to be brief again. I only have two drives. a 160 GB USB and a 80 GB internal. I have the USB working fine now on a PC with MacDrive and am making backups (OS X kept hanging and quitting DU when i tried to manipulate the disk or remount it.)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
You aren't connected to a network that hosts network drives, by any chance, are you? Could those be network drives that were detected by Bonjour, somehow, and are now, as a new feature, shown in DU?

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
What 160GB drive?

I'm confused, really. But don't use that 160GB drive until this is cleared out-- you can still recover the data on it.

:confused: :confused:

Much more explanation would be helpful. Including your setup-- that's a lot of drives you have going there.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
calebjohnston said:
maybe it's because you have enough hard drives to store 12x the knowledge of mankind.
most of those seem to be dupes...

Bizarre problem :rolleyes:
California said:
Why would you trust all those hard drives to USB? i thought USB drives were unreliable compared to FW. I would not try to update a drive unless it was FW, but that's just me and that may not be the problem anyway. You got a lot of hds, btw.
Uhhhh...USB isn't any less reliable compared to FW...other than compatibility with a wide array of computers (where USB soundly kicks FW's ass), the only thing is performance (where it depends on what you use the drives for, but FW will in some respects be faster than USB due to the design).

What is unreliable are some manufacturers' drives, but ST* is Seagate, and they generally have a good record with hard drives, so I dunno what's up with that..

DTG

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2003
UK
Did you install the update whilst the USB drive was attached? (I presume it doesn't contain your boot volume). As far as I'm aware Apple suggests that you disconnect external drives when installing OS updates.

Don't hold me to that though.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
I upgraded to 10.4.6 without a hitch. The 2 restarts did scare me though, but when I read today that it's normal, I was ok.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Yeah Apple recommends disconnecting any external HD's when you do updates as they can't gurantee that it will survive the update.

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
A strange coincidence happened to me. I did the OS update last night, turned off my computer and tried to turn it back on this morning. It refused to power on. I replaced the powersupply and that fixed the problem.....

OS 10.4.6 KILLED MY POWERSUPPLY!!!!11111220923908!!!OMGZZZZZ

Just kidding. I think something's going on with the wiring in our dorm room, because my roomate was scared stiff this morning as well, because his powerbook was hot and the fan was running heavy. He panicked, turned off the computer and unplugged it and let it cool. Hopefully nothing bad happened and my damn power supply is the only casualty.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I can see why you're bummed about this. But the screaming FUD headline is a bit much. Most people will be just fine with the upgrade and should go ahead with it.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
My update went fine and I'm sure thousands of others went by uneventful. so I would agree with milo that most should not be concerned by this.

jbcaro

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2006
Updated this morning. All went well. No problems and only 1 reboot instead of the 2 that others are reporting.

ryan42

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Near Houston, TX
My drive is back in the real world after a formatting as one drive on Windows, brought it back on the Mac, reformatted that one drive (now that the 1.5 TB volumes didn't show up) as a Mac volume and copied everything back over the network... and no way do I have 1.5 TB of network storage.
Strangest problem I've ever seen.

I'm glad I have it fixed with no ill effects to my data.

Oblivious

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2006
MA
Something very similar happened to me when I updated to 10.4.5 with tons of nonexistent hard drives at outrageous capacities. However, just restart of the computer seemed to fix the problem and the computer once again recognized my external HD without any damage done to it or data loss.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.