Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sam3020

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
Hello,

I would recommend that anyone that is thinking of upgrading to 3.0 should not do it quite yet. There are a huge ammount of bugs in 3.0. One being that is lags your phone. Syncing takes a hell of a long time to do. I have had lots of issues with the ipod where it will not even open.

It is still possible to downgrade to 2.2.1 if you have upgraded to 3.0. If anyone needs any help with this then please pm me. I do not mind helping.

But trust me it really is not worth upgrading. I would wait for beta 2 which will more than likely be out this friday coming.

Tokiopop

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2008
West Yorkshire, UK
Well, anyone who isn't a Developer shouldn't get 3.0 at all. People should just wait for it to come out, instead of paying £59 to get 3.0. Come on, in a few months we're all going to be able to get the final version of 3.0 for free :confused:

lftrghtparadigm

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
Hello,

I would recommend that anyone that is thinking of upgrading to 3.0 should not do it quite yet. There are a huge ammount of bugs in 3.0. One being that is lags your phone. Syncing takes a hell of a long time to do. I have had lots of issues with the ipod where it will not even open.

It is still possible to downgrade to 2.2.1 if you have upgraded to 3.0. If anyone needs any help with this then please pm me. I do not mind helping.

But trust me it really is not worth upgrading. I would wait for beta 2 which will more than likely be out this friday coming.

What are you suggesting? Developers stop working on 3.0 apps and stop subsequent testing?

I agree with you that 3.0b does not belong in the hands of your average user. The bugs would confuse them into improperly handling and probably bricking the device. 3.0b is entirely stable, as long you "baby" it. If you don't know what I mean by that, again, you shouldn't be using it.

FWIW, syncing should not be taking any longer than usual, assuming you are using:

Intel Mac 10.5.6
Current iTunes 8.1

They may have left out optimization in this beta for other (slower/older) configurations. But so far 3.0b on the 4 devices I have access to have done brilliantly, all with better battery than EVERYONE on 2.2.1

lftrghtparadigm

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
Well, anyone who isn't a Developer shouldn't get 3.0 at all. People should just wait for it to come out, instead of paying £59 to get 3.0. Come on, in a few months we're all going to be able to get the final version of 3.0 for free :confused:

Why anyone would pay JUST to get this beta is beyond me. It has only a fraction of the experience that one will get with the official 3.0.

Most of the major improvements are hidden within the imagination of developers using the new API's. Until those are fleshed out into reality, much of the new fun can't even be had.

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
I wont ever be updating my iPhone until I get a consensus from the community. Let someone else take the beating and deal with the frustration.

lftrghtparadigm

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
I wont ever be updating my iPhone until I get a consensus from the community. Let someone else take the beating and deal with the frustration.

This is smart, but ultimately unnecessary if you're talking about public releases. Its very rare that an official update causes actual problems. For example, it won't be necessary to avoid 3.0 when its available through iTunes, but some may opt to wait for 3.0.1., out of pure paranoia.

Personally, I would advise all iPhone users to upgrade immediately upon its availability. There are significant performance enhancements that accompany the new features of 3.0, specifically a baseband update that dramatically improves 3G reception (in 3G areas), as well as an equally dramatic improvement to battery life.

myuserid08

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
Hello,

Its still a BETA so what do you expect??

papiti

macrumors regular
May 28, 2008
Puerto Rico
WOW, talk about being paranoid. Not upgrade to 3.0. Yeah, if you are not a developer don't do it. 3.0b was not intended for the general public, DUDE. So lets keep it that way and let the developers fix bugs and glitches. Inpatient and Paranoid, what a combo!!!!!!:D

JForestZ34

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
I'm not a developer and I don't choose to be one.. But that you to all you guys that actually fix and create all these amazing apps... THANK YOU... With all these non-developers spending $99 just to get the lastest beta is eventually going to make apple think about revising it's developer program.. Wouldn't be surprised it they don't make some serious changes..

I don't think the average user should just be able to spend $99 just to get the beta... I think there should be some kind of protocol to be a developer rather than just paying on there website and poof there you go... These average user's just wasted $99 on something that has ALOT of bugs and some feature's don't work yet... We will all get this update when it's bug free and apple is ready to release it..

James

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
It's NOT AN UPGRADE!

The 3.0 OS is currently NOT AN UPGRADE! It's a beta test build, probably with lots of slow debug code built-in, and some unfinished preliminary apps.

This is a downgrade for regular users.

Even developers should only be installing this on their testing iPod Touch, or maybe backup/spare iPhone(s). This beta release is for developers to fix their code if it crashes under the beta, before the final 3.0 Release comes out and makes them look bad. It's also for developers who are writing code that will use the new features.

Are you currently coding-up iPhone apps? If not, the beta OS is not meant for you, and could potentially brick your phone if you don't know what you're doing.

ymmv.

pugnut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Why does anyone care what others do

If people want to pay $99 then so be it, its really their business. Fact is that greatness of Apple is that anyone can play along. Apple and AT&T are getting a great benefit by having people silly enough to pay the $99 dollars. There are a significant number of people, not only is is revenue, but it a major wide system test. Unlike typical developers most non-developers are using their primary device and hitting the network and they are watching.

Things are done for a reason, especially with APPLE

galahan

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2008
If people want to pay $99 then so be it, its really their business. Fact is that greatness of Apple is that anyone can play along. Apple and AT&T are getting a great benefit by having people silly enough to pay the $99 dollars. There are a significant number of people, not only is is revenue, but it a major wide system test. Unlike typical developers most non-developers are using their primary device and hitting the network and they are watching.

Things are done for a reason, especially with APPLE

+1
Don't know why everyone is so pissy about people upgrading. Their money, their choice. Same deal with people reporting bugs. I really doesn't sound like they're complaining, just sharing. But along comes the storm of "IT'S A BETA YOU DUMBBUM, DON'T YOU KNOW WHAT I BETA IS".

Relax, no one is flipping out about your choices, don't do the same about what others choose to do.

esdunbar

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2009
I for one am not a developer, I did pay $99 just to upgrade and I love 3.0.

Why are you so worried about me wasting my money? I do a lot of texting and emailing from my phone and it has always bugged me that native apps didn't have landscape keyboard. I'm very happy now, there are a few little bugs, but they bother me less than the lack of landscape keyboard. So, if I'm happy, why are franticly mashing away on your keyboard about how I dumb I am? I got 3.0 with my eyes wide open, if I bricked my phone, I would have gotten a new one.

For a free country, we sure do enjoy telling everyone what they should and should not do.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I for one am not a developer, I did pay $99 just to upgrade and I love 3.0.

Why are you so worried about me wasting my money? I do a lot of texting and emailing from my phone and it has always bugged me that native apps didn't have landscape keyboard. I'm very happy now, there are a few little bugs, but they bother me less than the lack of landscape keyboard. So, if I'm happy, why are franticly mashing away on your keyboard about how I dumb I am? I got 3.0 with my eyes wide open, if I bricked my phone, I would have gotten a new one.

For a free country, we sure do enjoy telling everyone what they should and should not do.

I don't think this was geared toward any one person. But if you look around the forum and around the net.. you have idiots who have gotten a hold of 3.0, f*cked up there phone and are now crying about it and wanting everybody to help them fix it.

Or the complaints about how laggy, how buggy etc the build is. I think they forget that 3.0 is still in beta.....

WPB2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2008
Southeast, LA
I (for 1) think Apple is brilliant for allowing everyone a chance to pay 99.00 for the 3.0beta.

How many of you paid Microsoft to test Win 7?

pugnut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
I (for 1) think Apple is brilliant for allowing everyone a chance to pay 99.00 for the 3.0beta.

How many of you paid Microsoft to test Win 7?

Not getting the comparision here? Win 7, who will pay for the full version when it is out ?

sam3020

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
What are you suggesting? Developers stop working on 3.0 apps and stop subsequent testing?

I agree with you that 3.0b does not belong in the hands of your average user. The bugs would confuse them into improperly handling and probably bricking the device. 3.0b is entirely stable, as long you "baby" it. If you don't know what I mean by that, again, you shouldn't be using it.

FWIW, syncing should not be taking any longer than usual, assuming you are using:

Intel Mac 10.5.6
Current iTunes 8.1

They may have left out optimization in this beta for other (slower/older) configurations. But so far 3.0b on the 4 devices I have access to have done brilliantly, all with better battery than EVERYONE on 2.2.1

I agree that people should have access to it who are actually developers and that are going to give feedback to apple about the bugs etc but a lot of people are being very impatient about getting an extremely buggy version. I am a developer but i have a 2G iPhone that i am using to develop on the 3.0 beta platform.

If you do not plan on creating apps for 3.0 then you should not be downloading this and people should not be offering to add their udid to their developer program for people because they are impatient.

noah82

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2008
San Diego, CA
So by all of your logic it is ok if you have a problem with 3.0 since you are a developer, but if the average Joe who is not a programmer is having problems, screw him?

I am sick and tired of the pompous, "I told you so" attitudes of people on this forum who have nothing better to do than bash people who want to be on the cutting edge of technology. It is not like people are going to the Genius bar and asking Apple directly for help with their beta software.

This is a USER forum, and it was designed for users to help out other users. When somebody starts a thread and asks for help, they do not want to hear "well you should have waited until June".

If you have nothing positive to contribute to a thread, click that little arrow pointing to the left in your browser and look for a different thread that you can contribute to.

muskratboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
brick wall?

yes, developer. yes, 3.0.

i keep reading all this "brick your phone" alarm... and while admittedly i haven't really been pushing the system too hard, it never really seems like it's on the verge of bricking.

is it really so easy to brick it? because it's been pretty easy to not brick it, so far.

:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.