Do NOT upgrade unlocked/jailbroken iPhones to 2.2.1 yet! [UPDATE:Pwnage updated]

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by LoMonkey, Jan 27, 2009.

1. LoMonkey macrumors regular

The Offical update to Pwnage (Mac only) and QuickPwn (Mac AND Windows) have been released by the Dev Team. Please see this link for full details. PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE POST BEFORE UPDATING, else you could risk losing the unlock PERMANENTLY! :apple:

Original post below:

This is just a warning to all who have unlocked/jailbroken their phones. If you NEED the unlock, DO NOT upgrade to 2.2.1 until the Dev Team says it's fine to. This new firmware has an updated modem, and it may possibly have patched the "hole" the Dev Team used to unlock the phone.

Same goes for jailbreakers. You WILL lose all of your jailbroken apps. If you don't need these apps, and you don't need to unlock your phone, upgrade at your own risk. Please note, that the upgraded modem may prevent you from ever unlocking the phone, should you wish to do so.

Just making this post so we (hopefully) won't see a storm of "HALP I UPGRADED MY UNLOCKED PHONE AND NOW IT'S LOCKED" threads.

2. mdendr macrumors newbie

Is it not possible to downgrade back to a previous firmware?

3. ehaugan81 macrumors newbie

Guys, I am in the middle of unlocking my phone using pwnagetool and when I boot back up and get into itunes it wants me to restore but will only allow me to "update and restore". Meaning, it wanted me to upgrade to 2.2.1 which I know I am not supposed to do. Any suggestions?

EDIT : Nevermind, I found if you hit "option" restore it lets you select the file you want to restore.

4. Jess.H macrumors member

Jess.H

Thanks for the heads up, I was planning to hold off for a few days anyway. I would much rather wait and not have a toasted phone. [​IMG]

5. LoMonkey thread starter macrumors regular

It is possible, but it can be risky. Also, once the modem is upgraded, it's almost impossible to downgrade it. (I say almost, because I don't know of a way to do it)

6. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

You can use quickpwn to just "activate" your phone so that you don't need to restore - but you used the option+click method and figured it out anyways - good :)

7. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

If you have an ipsw from a previous jailbreak, say from 2.2 or 2.1, can't you option restore with that? Wouldn't that be a firmware downgrade?

David

8. fireb0x macrumors member

I just want to downgrade from 2.2.1 to 2.2 so that I can run the emoji "hack." I dont want to make calls and ill immediately reupgrade. Is there a way to do this? Just downgrade for a minute so that I can reupgrade?

9. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

When you upgrade, all unbacked up information will be lost including the emoji emoticon "keyboard". I don't think iTunes backs up jailbreak data.;)

David

10. reboad macrumors member

From where can I find the old 2.2 software? I'm still running 2.1 on my iphone and I want to unlock it. Have to say, my timing really sucks..

11. superwoman macrumors regular

12. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

This tutorial includes a link to 2.2: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1880

13. reboad macrumors member

14. LastZion macrumors 6502a

I thought that this doesn't affect jailbroken phones.
    I have a 3G legally unlocked and jailbroken, and I want it to remain jailbroken, so will it stay JB'd if I upgrade to 2.21?

15. Habakuk macrumors 6502a

I've made a sum up of MuscleNerd's (famous member of the jailbreak/unlock development team) own comments in his blog post Hold your horses, [my remarks in brackets], accentuations added by me:

16. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

[Good lookin' out], definitely helps...:cool:

17. LoMonkey thread starter macrumors regular

As of this post, there in a Windows based jailbreak on www.quickpwn.com

Early reports says it works, BUT using this process WILL upgrade your modem firmware (baseband) on 3G phones and WILL break your unlock, possibly permanently. This is NOT an official (from the Dev Team) update to QuickPwn, but will work for people on Windows who want 2.2.1 and do NOT need the unlock.

To summarize, if you NEED the unlock for 3G phones, WAIT for the Dev Team to update their Pwnage tool. DO NOT UPGRADE YET!

18. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

No, it'll go back to stock 2.2.1 w/no jailbreak.

19. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

iTunes doesn't back up jailbroken apps/settings but for some reason the emoji hack stays. I upgraded to 2.2.1 and I still have the emoji keyboard.

Ps. sorry about the two posts in a row. No cut and paste on the iPhone.

20. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yeah, I'm in the same boat when I upgraded to the 2.2.1 firmware last night. I wasn't aware that I still had emoji (hack) until I sent text message to someone and I saw the international keyboard icon. Hopefully the Dev Team can come up with a nice and quick JB...:eek:

21. LoMonkey thread starter macrumors regular

As stated in the updated original post, it is now possible to update your phone using the new Pwnage tool to preserve your unlock. PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE POST BEFORE UPDATING!

22. Ecthelion macrumors member

Ecthelion

23. tsinmike macrumors newbie

What is that "option" restore you talking about?:confused:
    Do I press "alt"?

24. Rusalka macrumors regular

Rusalka

I think it's 'CRT' on PC, or whatever they call control

25. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Ctrl? :rolleyes: