do NOT use airpods in the gym

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by darthbane2k, Jan 16, 2017.

1. darthbane2k macrumors 6502

After two sweaty workouts the bass on these things have never been the same.
    Going back.
    Don't use these in the gym folks.

2. ascender macrumors 68020

Some people seem to be getting on fine with them for workouts though.

Interesting fact.... some people sweat lots with a low concentrate of salt, some people hardly sweat at all, but when they do it has a very high concentrate of salt. And all the other permutations in between of both.

You might just have a faulty pair or it could be your sweat has got in and damaged them?

3. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Appears results are mixed. Others have used the Airpods in the rain with no issues and yours are now ruin due to Mositure from the gym. Either way, Apple never claimed these to have any water or sweat resistance. You obviously took the risk likely knowing this. It's something to improve on in the future.

4. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

EverythingApplePro has made a video about the durabilities of these. In his tests, they held up really well to both water and drop tests.

5. ascender macrumors 68020

Rain isn't sweat though. Big difference when it comes to corrosive properties, especially over repeated use without proper cleaning.

You only have to look at the number of places where moisture could get in to the AirPods compared to something like the PowerBeats3 which are designed for workouts to see what could be going on.

6. darthbane2k thread starter macrumors 6502

Could be a faulty pair but something just doesn't feel right anymore. I'll try and get them changed but won't be using in the gym again.

7. dgreening macrumors member

I am thinking something is wrong with your pair. I have worn them in the gym at least 6 times a week and doing a lot of cardio and sweating. I have had no issues at all. I love the fact they don't have wires. This was my first worry about getting these though but after watching the youtube videos and what they put them through I went for it and I don't regret it at all. By the way, I have had them since 12/19.

8. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I wear mine every day in the gym. But while I spend a lot of time mopping sweat from my upper lip and brow, my ears don't sweat.

This is going to be a very personal issue.

9. dotnet macrumors 6502a

dotnet

Thanks, I'll try to remember that (if I ever get drunk enough to end up in a gym).

10. Chrome262 macrumors newbie

Also acid content. Men's sweat will be more Acidic while women's sweet tends to be more Alkalide

11. CharlesShaw, Jan 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2017

CharlesShaw macrumors 6502

CharlesShaw

I'm certain that lots of people will want to wear AirPods while sunbathing or during other outdoor activities where sweat runs down a face.

12. ascender macrumors 68020

Good point

If you look at a pair of headphones made for exercising, or even some of the cheap wired in-ear ones you can buy which are bombproof and last for years, they're sealed up good-and-proper and typically sit inside the ear, with some sort of foam or plastic cushioning to help them stay in (and help with reducing background noise). So there's not actually that many places sweat or rain can get in.

Check the AirPods out. Sitting here looking at this one, there's what, five openings for moisture to get in? All it takes is a faulty seal inside somewhere (I didn't check the ifixit teardown out so don't know how well sealed the internal components are) and you could have a problem.

13. AppleRobert, Jan 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2017

AppleRobert macrumors 603

That is not my issue, the airpods do not go loud enough with lots of music I listen to for gym use.

Their music is playing, mine gets drowned out. Even the machines drown it out.

14. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Diet also plays a very large part with regard to sweat and body odor.

15. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

There is a clear reason why other companies stress that their sport headphones are sweatproof.

Not saying you can't use your AirPods at the gym, but I do think it's risky.

16. PatrickNSF macrumors 6502

PatrickNSF

I ran 130+ miles with mine since the beginning of the year and they're fine. I'll swap them out if they start malfunctioning.

17. NauticalDan macrumors regular

Yeah - I have used mine in the gym like 30 times now, sweat A LOT, and they went through the wash in my gym shorts. They sound exactly the same, and are nice and clean now!

18. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

They Work just fine in the gym and have been fine since I bought them.

Sounds like you may just have faulty ones

19. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

I don't dispute this at all. I just think it's peculiar considering they could withstand a washing machine with bleach and whatnot, as well as a bunch more, and not handle sweat. I'm not saying it's scientifically impossible though

20. darthbane2k thread starter macrumors 6502

To be fair that test was bogus because all they did was check whether the things played music. Mine still play it's just the bass that's gone funny

21. ascender macrumors 68020

This is all guesswork on my part, but I've put various pairs of headphones through washing machines before and they generally work ok after drying out. I guess though that washing machines will do some sort of rinse at the end so won't leave much behind.

I have also killed a couple of sets of wireless headphones through running and I suspect its a combination of poor seals or salt and other stuff getting in to the working over time and "gunking" things up (technical term).

22. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

That's not true - he did do a subjective listening test, saying "They sound the same to me" or something like that.

Fair enough.

23. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

If the bass is gone I'd check the air vents on the Airpods. The less air that gets in the less bass, maybe yours have gotten clogged?

If you cover up the air vents you can hear the difference in bass.

24. C DM macrumors Westmere

For some reason that made me think of Simpsons:
    [​IMG]

25. laudern macrumors 6502a

Who cares what they sound like. I bet you looked pretty cool/sexy at the gym wearing them.