Do not use OEM version of Windows?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by c073186, Mar 1, 2008.

1. c073186 macrumors 6502a

I just bought Vista Ultimate OEM version and as I am reading the installation instructions for Boot camp it says "64-bit version of Windows. Media Center, OEM, and upgrade versions of Windows XP are not recommended". Why can't I use OEM? I thought it was the exact same thing, just without the packaging and technical support. Am I going to need another copy of Vista or will mine work?

2. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

They probably say that because the OEM is usually tied to a machine and it's a license that may have been already activated. And most OEM copies are DELL which won't install on non-DELL machines (at least never for me).

3. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So if I bought the OEM version from Newegg I should be okay?

4. Queso macrumors G4

The only problems I can think using an OEM license would present is it's much more likely the activation key would already have been used, since manufacturers often use the same keys several times. Microsoft is normally okay with this though, you just have to go through the trouble of calling them to activate it rather than just doing it over the Web as with a retail copy.

5. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Yes, you'll be perfectly fine. I've used an OEM version myself in the past and had no problems whatsoever.

6. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

Yes. :)