Do not use the macbook pro '11 under clamshell mode! Proof inside!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nnoob, Aug 3, 2011.

1. nnoob, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2011

nnoob macrumors member

2. Nopstnz8 macrumors member

Nopstnz8

So what are you trying to prove? Lower clock speed in clamshell mode?

3. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

4. stevenlangley1 macrumors regular

stevenlangley1

I'm not sure what I'm suppose to be seeing here.

5. derickdub macrumors 6502

OP is just stating the obvious. Of course the CPU will get warmer, even at a lower multiplier. The keyboard helps dissipate a lot of the heat from the internals.

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

nothing to see here ... continue clam-shelling folks :cool:

7. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Actually, no it doesn't its blocked off from the motherboard.

8. derickdub macrumors 6502

I still really don't see the point in leaving the lid closed though. Once you 'wake' the computer up, the screen shouldn't come back on. At least mine doesn't with the exception of using a mini-DisplayPort -> DisplayPort cable. And that has only been a problem with mine and a few other MBPs AFAIK.

9. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

except it does, on lion.

10. derickdub, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011

derickdub macrumors 6502

My keyboard gets warm about where the CPU sits on the logic board. I'm not saying that it's a design feature for the keyboard to vent heat, but of course there is much less resistance for the heat to leave the MBP when the lid isn't closed to insulate it.

I didn't realize this, I haven't used clamshell since SL so...

11. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

I think you misunderstood what I was saying, in terms of fans it is completely disconnected, heat can dissipate through the aluminium but the effect would be fairly minimal.

This

12. dsio macrumors regular

Your keyboard gets warm due to air from the vent at the back blowing over the aluminium as the screen hinge diverts its flow. Its actually not the aluminium dissipating heat, its the aluminium absorbing heat that would otherwise be vented into the air.

13. dsio macrumors regular

As far as this test goes, its about as about as scientific as "I say so, therefore it is".

What was the constant ambient temperature?

How many threads were you calculating primes on simultaneously?

What surface was the laptop running on and how far was it from any obstructions at the rear?

14. derickdub macrumors 6502

If this were the case wouldn't the hinge and aluminum between the hinge and keyboard be warm too? Mine is still fairly cool where as my left half of my keyboard is obviously warmer.

Like Macsavvytech said though, the effect is fairly minimal and probably isn't worth the annoyance of the second monitor to some people. I also wasn't aware you couldn't open the lid with lion.

15. dsio macrumors regular

Heat from the back will only be when its operating full tilt, some minor warmth from the keyboard under less load would be expected, there is a fair bit of effort that's gone into insulating everything from the logic board though.

16. nnoob thread starter macrumors member

8 Threads
    Flat nothing on the wooden desk except for the cables
    It was ~80 degrees Fahrenheit or 27 degrees Celsius

17. dsio macrumors regular

Would you mind posting a shot of that program with the CPU at idle as well as a base reference. In clamshell mode as well.

18. nnoob thread starter macrumors member

sure, You should keep it open when you doing something cpu intensive.

19. nnoob thread starter macrumors member

open:

[​IMG]

clamshell: (It spikes more often in clamshell)
    [​IMG]

20. karohan macrumors 6502

You're not the only one to post results like this. There have been others that have posted benchmarking results pointing to a performance decrease when in clamshell mode.

As a clamshell user in SL, I guess I can easily circumvent this by just opening the lid and keeping that screen off. However, I'm concerned for Lion, where apparently you can't keep the lid of the MBP open but still be in clamshell mode.

21. wegster macrumors 6502

Can someone also confirm there's actually no air *intake* at all coming in via the keyboard?

The posted numbers aren't surprising, the CPU looks like it's temperature throttling itself, no? Even if the keyboard doesn't increase airflow, the upper body still likely has small amount of heat dissipation via airflow over it, versus closed in clamshell mode. Without taking samples of temps over time or ensuring enough cooldown to start at the same exact CPU temp in open vs clamshell mode, across multiple tests, it's not exactly conclusive, but seeing a difference of roughly 1*C or so isn't a real surprise.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the data in the screenshots - look at the variance in the frequency multiplier in the second shot's open mode - with max temps of 65*C the multiplier is all over the place - doesn't seem to be exactly under load so much as possible sporadic in and out of boost from background processes, versus doing anything maxxing the CPU out.. ??

22. nnoob thread starter macrumors member

i use switchresx for deactivating the lcd monitor it works fine in lion

23. dsio macrumors regular

The multipliers look wrong at every state in that Throttlestop program, looks like something slapped together in Visual Basic, so I wouldn't put a great amount of faith in it.

24. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

There is absolutely no air intake at all coming in via the keyboard.

I could go into a long winded discussion about heat pipes and heat sinks and airflow and fan design but I try to avoid doing so.

25. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

This. I also question if the OP waited long enough for all of the tempratures to go back to what they were prior to starting the first test or if they ran them back to back.

You could sum it up with the fact that there is a solid wall of material between the keyboard and the rest of the computer, preventing any airflow through the keyboard myths from being logical.