Do October 07 Leopard Disks work on a Jan 08 Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by krye, Mar 31, 2008.

1. krye macrumors 68000

krye

I bought Leopard on launch day to upgrade my MacBook. I just bought the new 8 core mac pro. Even though it comes with Leopard disks, just out of curiosity, will the retail box Leopard install disk work? Or is it missing drivers?

I know the advantage to the bundled Leopard disks is that they also come with iLife 08. The next MacBook I'll buy will come with disks too. So at some point the retail boxed version will become extra to me. So should I keep this as a spare, or sell it on eBay? If it'll load on the Mac Pro then I'll keep it as a spare in case I damage my originals.

2. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

If you damage the Leopard disks, why not buy them again then? if you don't ever need it, then you're sitting on $100 you could spend on something else. You can't sell the disks that came with the MacBook adn they won't necessarily work with other computers. So keep those.

3. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I think the retail Leopard disc is missing drivers for the early 2008 Mac Pros.

I think selling it is the best choice. Just make a backup of the included discs and put them in a different location if you are afraid of damaging them.

4. krye thread starter macrumors 68000

krye

The thing is, I don't plan on buying a new MacBook anytime soon. My MacBook shipped with Tiger so I'd like to keep the Leopard retail disks around in case of a reinstall. Also, if I happen to come across an older Mac (eBay, etc) it would be nice to know I can easily upgrade it to Leopard. I guess it makes sense to hold onto it for a little longer. I just wanted to know if it serves as a backup to my new Mac Pro. I guess not.

5. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

The Leopard disks that came out at Release / October were Version 10.5

I believe (let me know if I am mistaken) that the 8-Core Mac Pros all come with 10.5.1 pre-installed. This is the base OS, thus the machine does not support anything earlier, theoretically. It's like trying to install System 7.5 on a PowerMac 9500/120 that comes with 7.5.2, the update provided support for PCI Macs, and you had to run 7.5.2 or later on that model. It's the same for most models of PowerMac. The Previous 4-core Woodcrest and 8-core Clovertown Mac Pros will run 10.5 without a hitch, since it's an upgrade from 10.4.x which they came with.

I think you will need 10.5.1 + with the 8-Core Mac Pro

6. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

What the retail box is missing, besides perhaps drivers, is iLife. If iLife came with your Pro then it will be on those disks.

7. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Keep in mind. The packaged Leopard disks that come with the Mac Pro will NOT work on your older Macbook. This means that if you ever have to reinstall the MacBook you will need those retail disks to install Leopard on it.