Do old Macs work well with Mountain Lion Server?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bavbavis, Oct 11, 2013.

1. bavbavis macrumors newbie

I have a couple of Powerbook G4's running 10.5.8 and Mac Mini running 10.8 server. I was wondering if anyone had tried using older Mac's with a much newer server and how much success they had with this? What works, what doesn't? Do things like Calendar sharing work...

2. hansolo669 macrumors regular

Since you have them I would give it a go, see what happens!

10.8 and 10.5 really aren't that far apart (especially considering that 10.6 was really just 10.5 stripped of PPC code), and I think most things should work.

Obviously File sharing and the like will work, and I would imagine the OS X calendar protocol didn't really change much so thats probably good as well. IMAP and POP email has been around forever so that's a go as well.

The only thing I could really think of as being in-compatible would be netboot. But even then, a 10.4 server can host 10.5 (maybe even 10.6 images) so even that might work (come to think of it when i was at the apple store they net-booted my iBook with a 10.5 image ... probably off a 10.7 machine[at the time]).

3. sarthak macrumors 6502

I'm running Tiger on a Quicksilver G4 Dual 1GHz with 892mb RAM and it works great with another mac (as HTPC) running Mountain Lion Server.

Like others have mentioned, File Sharing, VPN/DNS, Websites etc. will work but I wouldn't expect much more than that.

I personally don't use Profile Manager, Update Caching and other features.

4. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

I'd like to do the opposite of you. Use my G5 as a server for open directory and stuff with newer macs since mine are Intel with Mavericks.