Do Old School phone "Profiles" still exist?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ErnieP, May 9, 2009.

1. ErnieP macrumors newbie

Howdy,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Couldn't find my answer this time so I had to actually register :eek:

Anyhoo, Bluetooth sucks the Life out of the phone (of course) so I've not been pairing it in the car . . . I'm curious if there's a way (or a "made for ipod" device) that can tell the phone to go into a certain setup . . .

Example:
    When charging, turn ON bluetooth and turn OFF wifi.

Since apple's supposed to be opening a lot of new APIs, I'm wondering if someone's going to come up with a "one touch" app to toggle between modes from the main screen . . . not a bad idea.

Anyhoo, if something already exists, I'd be thrilled if someone could tell me. Thanks guys!

-Ernie

2. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

Pretty sure this doesn't exist, of course I'm not jailbroken so there may be an app. I like the idea tho, almost program your phone to turn on/off certain settings based on an action.

3. ErnieP thread starter macrumors newbie

My understanding of "made for ipod" (that chip that everyone thought was apple enabling the orbital mind control lasers ;) ) was for.

Reading around, I suspect that interface is why a lot of people get the "enable airplane mode?" dialog . . . because it's triggering some yet-to-be-implemented interface.

I've discovered (the hard way) that if you don't do something yourself, things aren't going to happen the way you want it to, or sometimes even right. Unfortunately, that's why I've decided to "protect" my pictures by building a linux box to raid them and automate backups to an FTP site. (hard to explain to your wife why your child's birthday party photos got eaten by your 1-month-old iMac :shock: ).

Back the the iPhone though, I'm not eager to jump into development if I can help it. It's just another language to sub-specialize in, but who knows if I could get past the submission process if I can get it working. Not interested in jailbreaking . . . had hacked phones before and it's a pain in the rear if you ever need service.

-Ernie

4. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Fantastic. Another ill-informed anti-jailbreaker. :rolleyes:

As for profiles, there is no option in the jailbreak world either. I have a slight inkling that it may be included in 3.0. Just my opinion. I have no facts to base that on.

5. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

Except for the one I linked to above.. :rolleyes:

6. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

It's a beta.

And why are you rolling your eyes?