Do "Open @ Login" Items Really Slow Down Your Mac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by HappyDude20, Feb 13, 2010.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I have a few apps I like to start up on their own upon turning on my Mac.

Of which are:

OmniFocus
    iCal
    OmniOutliner

&

Sometimes Pages

-------

Does this stuff really slow down my Mac?

Of course this isn't even counting the few items that automatically open up on the menubar such as:

Alarm Clock 2, AirMouse, Caffeine, LogMeIn and SMCFanControl.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It slows down the log-in process, because those applications have to be started.
    But it would be the same, if you just logged in without those log-in items and started the programs by yourself.

3. mac2x macrumors 65816

Anything it has to open will take a certain amount of time, yes. Probably depends upon the app itself, e.g. you want Photoshop to open at login (just an extreme example). My login items are smcfancontrol, Terminal, and MagicPrefs (which I use to get a middle click on my magic mouse). Don't notice any undue slowdowns.

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Yes, just like on Windows, many start up items will slow down your boot times. On OS X, however, it's so rare to have slow boot times that Applecare might accidently mistake your multiple start up items for a failing HDD - They did that to me!

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

What it does is decrease your free RAM. So, having less RAM could lead to constant use of the HD, which could make it seem slower, but if you have plenty of RAM, you'll see no affect.