Do Penryn MBPs run cooler than SR

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lekun, Feb 27, 2008.

1. lekun macrumors regular

I've seem some iStat Pro temps buried in some other threads, but I am curious if the new MBPs are literally cooler.

Even with a 3/4 piece of wood between my lap and my former SR laptop, my lap would get too hot. I'm hoping the Penryn MBP solves some of that since we certainly aren't getting much of a performance boost.

What are the temp stats for the Penryn MBP versus the SR MBP? Can people post screenshots (with iStat Widget) for both accompanied with the specs so we can compare models.

2. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

technically yes, since it;s using the smaller 45nm chip, hence, it will run cooler than the SR

but it all depends on the usage, even Penryn will get hot when you do some heavy stuffs for more than 2 hours

im sorry im not able to give you the SS since i dont own a new MBP yet :D

3. PDE macrumors 68020

I'd like to know that too! It would be great if Apple could manage to control the heat even better - the first generation of MBPs were terrible and the latest SR have been ok, but definitely not that comfortable. There are PC laptops with the same processor that run cooler so it's a matter of design more than anything else. Of course the metal case makes it feel worse, but I wonder if these penryn processors run much cooler....?

4. miknos macrumors 6502a

miknos

Macbook Penryn 2.4 much cooler

I bought one yesterday. I had a macbook C2D 2.16Ghz and my new one (2.4Ghz) runs much cooler. I leave the fan at 2500rpm which is quiet and the CPU keeps at 45 celcius. The battery last a total of 5 to 6 hours listening to music, surfing the net (half hour more than the 2.16Ghz).

5. PDE macrumors 68020

Yes, it runs much cooler AND it has better battery life AND it's generally quiet with low fan rpms. Quite an improvement actually!

6. AreanFSL macrumors 6502

Wow, 5-6 hours is huge.

7. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

i have a penryn MBP recently purchased this week,
    comparing it to my previous 2.2 GHz MBP, it's cooler and quiter, especially when waing from sleep.
    with my 2.2 i can hear the optical drive making a very loud sound upon waking up.
    in battery hours, i get 4:30 based on istat with the wireless on and doing multi tasking.. listening to itunes, surfing the net and some final cut pro apps

8. sealab2021 macrumors member

Yes, the SR MBP are complete Crap. Complete waste of Money. Don't be an idiot and buy or keep a SR MBP. The Penryn MBPs, on the other hand, are golden laptops. There has never been, and will never be a better laptop. That is until 6 months. Then we will be talking about how much Penryn MBPs suck and how the next new ones are AWESOME!

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You don't need the bash the older computers!

The Meroms are just as good.

I think the temps on average are about the same.

10. Queso macrumors G4

I can't speak for the 2.5 model, but my 2.4 is noticeably cooler than the previous generation 2.4 an acquaintance uses.

11. G4DP macrumors 65816

You lot need to get some facts straight first. The new MBP are Santa Rosa machines.

SR is the platform/logic configuration.
    The only thing that changes is the actual CPU's, these have moved to Penryn.

You have bought SR Penryn MBP's not SR Morem MBP's.

But yes they will be cooler because of the smaller chip size and improved efficiency.

12. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Your wrong as well, technically none of the mbp are santa rosa or ever was.

GM965/PM965 chipsets and 82566MM Gigabit Network/Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN is what makes a santa rosa platform and the current and previous macbook pro has the GM965 chipset but does not have the Wireless 4965AGN card and instead apple uses a Atheros wifi card (airport).

So technically none are santa rosa, but I just call it a SR mbp to describe the GM965 chipsets.

13. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

I have a Penryn 2.6 and it seems to run much cooler than my friends 2.33 or the SR Merom 2.6.

14. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

while the merits of upgrading can surely be debated, it is fact that the new laptops run cooler and have better battery life.

15. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Yes, the new ones run cooler with better battery life. Any other questions, that was an easy one. :)

Seriously though the amount is much more than I expected. A 2.6GHz new model run much cooler than a previous 2.4GHz I had. The fans on the new one rarely go faster than the base 2000 rpm. And when on my lap with AC on, the old ones got way too hot for comfort. In normal use the new one runs cool enough that it's never bothersome. Only if you do something that causes extended full CPU use goes it get very warm and even then it's still much cooler.

16. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I think this is a bit over exaggerated, I used a 2.6ghz penryn (my cousins) for about 2 hours (he dropped it off to let me test it) and to me it runs a teeny bit cooler the first 30 minutes but after 30 minutes it actually gets hot as the previous model 2.4ghz, if not hotter. Either way I had to use my ilap.