Do people actually fall for this.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by velocityg4, Oct 18, 2012.

1. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

We all get obvious scam emails. I just thought this was hilarious and couldn't resist sharing it?

What are some of the worst most blatent scam messages you have gotten. Also do people that fall for these deserve a Darwin award?

2. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I'd bet people do, doesn't surprise me at all.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The problem is legit emails can look like that. Around 8 years ago I got an email from a company (and I'm copying+pasting here)

"Hi Name
    We like your product(s).
    We are willing to invent and pay renumeration..."

It went on along those lines. But this was from a real publishing company, based in North America somewhere. I was only young and felt I had nothing to lose so I bit, and it surprisingly worked out great.

4. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I get those every once in a while in my spam folder. I do get a chuckle out of them to be honest. I'm not at all surprised that some people fall for these scams. There'a a fool born every minute.

5. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

How about this one I just got? Hell, grammatical mistakes are all over the place and she didn't even bother to greet me! :D

Oh, and the HD120 GIG is just plain ludicrous.

6. velocityg4 thread starter macrumors 68040

velocityg4

That's a shocker.

7. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Haha I baited one along for a while and was treated to many photos of African women :eek:

8. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Lol at the OP, sure a guy just left 4M and "ran away". :rolleyes:

9. samiwas macrumors 65816

Not only this, but if this guy has his hands already on the full amount, why on earth is he finding someone to "share" it with? At least in the other scams, they are having to get money out of a country or something.

I almost did once fall for the Western Union scam on eBay, but this was well before it was documented and popular. Now, I won't even shop eBay unless I am positive everything is real. I was looking for a Cinema Display, and found one on eBay and put in a bid. The seller then contacted me and said he wanted to be paid by Western Union and we'd just skip the auction. I thought, "okay, whatever". In some way, I am lucky that a financial issue caused me to not be able to go through with the sale, as that would have been the last I saw of that money. Nowadays, I can spot these scams a mile away.