Do people actually fall for this.

velocityg4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
We all get obvious scam emails. I just thought this was hilarious and couldn't resist sharing it?

What are some of the worst most blatent scam messages you have gotten. Also do people that fall for these deserve a Darwin award?

I am Larry Johnson Director Inspection Unit United Nations Inspection Agent in Hartsfield International Airport Atlanta Georgia.During our investigation, I discovered An abandoned shipment through a Diplomat from United Kingdom under iship forwarder which was transferred from JF Kennedy Airport to our facility here in Atlanta and when scanned it revealed an undisclosed sum of money in a Metal Trunk Box weighing approximately 55kg each. Kindly open and read from the message attached for more details.

MESSAGE.txt
Mr. Larry Johnson INSPECTION UNIT Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. Hi, I am Larry Johnson Director Inspection Unit United Nations Inspection Agent in Hartsfield International Airport Atlanta Georgia.During our investigation, I discovered An abandoned shipment through a Diplomat from United Kingdom under iship forwarder which was transferred from JF Kennedy Airport to our facility here in Atlanta and when scanned it revealed an undisclosed sum of money in a Metal Trunk Box weighing approximately 55kg each. The consignment was abandoned because the Content was not properly declared by the consignee as money rather it was declared as personal effect to avoid diversion by the Shipping Agent also the Diplomat inability to pay for Non Inspection Fees. On my assumption, each of the boxes will contain more that $4M or above in each and the consignment is still left in storage house till today through a registered shipping Company, Courier Dispatch Service Limited a division of Tran guard LTD. The Consignment are two metal box with weight of about 55kg each (Internal dimension: W61 x H156 x D73 (cm). Effective capacity: 680 L.)Approximately. The details of the consignment including your name the official document from United Nation office in London are tagged on the Metal Trunk box. If you want us to transact the delivery for mutual benefit, you should provide your Phone Number, full address, to cross check if it corresponds with the information on the official document, also you should provide the name of nearest Airport around you and other details to me for onward delivery. All communication must be held extremely confidential. I can get everything concluded within 24 to 48 hours upon your acceptance and proceed to your address for delivery. But it must be on the condition that you will give me 30% of the amount contained in the boxes and i must get assurance from you concerning my 30% before i will proceed. I want us to transact this business and share the money, since the shipper have abandoned it and ran away.I will pay for the Non inspection fee and arrange for the boxes to be moved out of this Airport to your address, Once we are through i will deploy the services of a secured shipping Company geared to provide the security it needs to your doorstep or i can bring it by myself to avoid any more trouble. But we will share it 70% for you and 30% for me. But you have to assure me of my 30%. Do respond to my through my direct private email: larryjohnsonus@gmail.com You can call me at 404-9965358 Cell: 302-2619840. Best Regards, Larry Johnson INSPECTION OFFICER

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
The problem is legit emails can look like that. Around 8 years ago I got an email from a company (and I'm copying+pasting here)

"Hi Name
We like your product(s).
We are willing to invent and pay renumeration..."

It went on along those lines. But this was from a real publishing company, based in North America somewhere. I was only young and felt I had nothing to lose so I bit, and it surprisingly worked out great.

Comment

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
I get those every once in a while in my spam folder. I do get a chuckle out of them to be honest. I'm not at all surprised that some people fall for these scams. There'a a fool born every minute.

Comment

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
How about this one I just got? Hell, grammatical mistakes are all over the place and she didn't even bother to greet me! :D

Oh, and the HD120 GIG is just plain ludicrous.

I am Miss Annabel Ucheoma. A computer scientist with C.B.N

I am 26 years old, just started work with C.B.N. I came across your file which was marked X and your released d isk painted RED, I took time to study it and found out that you have paid VIRTUALLY all fees and certificate but the fund has not been release to you.

The most annoying thing is that they cannot tell you the truth that on no account will they ever release the fund to you. Please this is like a Mafia setting in Nigeria; you may not understand it because you are not a Nigerian.

The only thing I will need to release this fund is a special HARD DISK we call it HD120 GIG. I will buy two of it, recopy your information, destroy the previous one, and punch the computer to reflect in your bank within 24 banking hours. I will clean up the tracer and destroy your file, after which I will run away from Nigeria to meet with you.

If you are interested. Do get in touch with me immediately, You should send to me your convenient tell/fax numbers for easy communications and also re confirm your banking details, so that there won't be any mistake.for phone converstion,please call me on +2348155605982.

Regards,

Miss Annabel Ucheoma

Comment

velocityg4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
The problem is legit emails can look like that. Around 8 years ago I got an email from a company (and I'm copying+pasting here)

"Hi Name
We like your product(s).
We are willing to invent and pay renumeration..."

It went on along those lines. But this was from a real publishing company, based in North America somewhere. I was only young and felt I had nothing to lose so I bit, and it surprisingly worked out great.
That's a shocker.

Comment

Zwhaler

macrumors demi-god
Jun 10, 2006
Lol at the OP, sure a guy just left 4M and "ran away". :rolleyes:

Comment

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Lol at the OP, sure a guy just left 4M and "ran away". :rolleyes:
Not only this, but if this guy has his hands already on the full amount, why on earth is he finding someone to "share" it with? At least in the other scams, they are having to get money out of a country or something.

I almost did once fall for the Western Union scam on eBay, but this was well before it was documented and popular. Now, I won't even shop eBay unless I am positive everything is real. I was looking for a Cinema Display, and found one on eBay and put in a bid. The seller then contacted me and said he wanted to be paid by Western Union and we'd just skip the auction. I thought, "okay, whatever". In some way, I am lucky that a financial issue caused me to not be able to go through with the sale, as that would have been the last I saw of that money. Nowadays, I can spot these scams a mile away.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.