Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use the built in iOS smart features?

• Yes I do

Votes: 41 68.3%
  • No I don’t find them useful

Votes: 19 31.7%

• Total voters

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Features such as time to leave, events/contacts suggestions, hand off, calls on nearby devices etc?

Last edited:

Nikiforidis

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2017
I am using the location based alerts. I find them very useful. I also have handoff/continuity enabled because of the universal clipboard and unlock with Apple Watch. (Not sure if continuity is requirement I think it is)

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
I am using the location based alerts. I find them very useful. I also have handoff/continuity enabled because of the universal clipboard and unlock with Apple Watch. (Not sure if continuity is requirement I think it is)
How do you use the location based alerts? Is that the iCal feature where reminders come up when you reach a certain location?

Nikiforidis

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2017
Yep.

You can add the location alerts both for calendar and reminders. I personally ask Siri for example "Remind me to put few business cards in my bag when I get home" and she creates the reminder for me. I think the first time she will ask you "Where is your home?" and you have to set it up in the maps under her question, after that it's automatic, the address is saved in your contacts, she wont ask again.

http://www.tapsmart.com/tips-and-tricks/guide-setting-location-based-iphone-reminders-ios-10/

https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/location-based-reminders-iphone/
[doublepost=1527335546][/doublepost]
I think he means geo-fenced (?) reminders. I use those all the time ...
Same feature, different name. :D
[doublepost=1527336336][/doublepost] siri.PNG

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Yes. I use time to leave all the time. I’d like to use geo-fenced reminders more, too.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Yep.

You can add the location alerts both for calendar and reminders. I personally ask Siri for example "Remind me to put few business cards in my bag when I get home" and she creates the reminder for me. I think the first time she will ask you "Where is your home?" and you have to set it up in the maps under her question, after that it's automatic, the address is saved in your contacts, she wont ask again.

http://www.tapsmart.com/tips-and-tricks/guide-setting-location-based-iphone-reminders-ios-10/

https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/location-based-reminders-iphone/
[doublepost=1527335546][/doublepost]
Same feature, different name. :D
[doublepost=1527336336][/doublepost] View attachment 763122
Yeah, that's what I meant. Aren't those called geo-fenced reminders?

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Imo the poll would have been better with an option for each of the main smart features, with multiple selections allowed

Reactions: aristobrat

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I like that it shows me where I parked my car and the estimated travel time before I leave for work/home. I wish it were fleshed out a bit more though.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Haven't made an inventory but am betting I use none. i.e.: Got excited about the Parked Car feature, it doesn't work (for me)... I got no time play tech with Apple's half-baked features.

At one point I had thought, wouldn't it be nice if my garage door auto closes as I drive away, as a back up, but that probably forces me to buy a new opener at $hundreds and the installation$$ blah-blah... is not such a big deal... maybe eventually when the "Apple Ecosystem" is adapted more readily by the rest of the world, which I must say Alexa is getting a leg up even though they came in later into the game.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Features such as time to leave, events/contacts suggestions, hand off, calls on nearby devices etc?
I would say that features like time to leave or various suggestions would be in a somewhat different category than functions like handoff or calls on nearby devices.

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
Pretty much none of them. Time to work or time to leave is irrelevant since I live somewhere where traffic is never a concern, or if it is, it's predictable. Hand off has never been a thing I needed, although I do use synced tabs, when they actually sync. Parked car is nice, but it only ever notifies me maybe one out of ten times my car is parked, if that. I have tried geo-fencing reminders and they seem to rarely actually remind me. Those that were mentioned are either not useful, or unreliable enough to make them not useful.

Having said that, there are integrations between devices that make being fully immersed in the Apple world a great experience. Airdrop is wonderfully useful, AirPlay (and even more so AirPlay 2) are super convenient and reliable enough. Control center with control for multiple devices for music is great. Those things, and a few more I know I am forgetting, work very well and are useful.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I have a few time and location based tasks that are automated via the iPhone and related apps. I also like to handoff phone calls to the HomePod as well.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I use all of the ones listed. I always fill in the address of a calendar event, ask Siri to remind me of stuff when I get home, use hand off between iPhone, iPad & Mac especially the shared clipboard. And I call with the device I'm working with at the moment the call comes in, whichever that may be. Same with text messages (iMessage isn't really "smart" since it has a native app on all devices, not it shared ;-) )

Dunno if these also count but HomeKit scenes are pure awesomeness ;-)

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
If I was constantly working on something, I could see handoff being useful. I've never used it though, because iCloud features function well enough. For instance, Safari is usually open on my Macbook, so if I want to revisit a page I was browsing on my iPhone, I'll just use iCloud tabs. I've never heard or seen anyone use Airdrop in the wild. The only time I use suggestions is when I leave the house and my iPhone suggests the music app, because I usually listen to music on the morning commute.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I forget about them most of the time. The few times I use certain ones they seem to not work right. Maybe they’ve gotten better but I still feel like I can’t rely on them.

Reactions: dk001
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.