Do Podcast subscriptions actually work for anyone?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by MattG, Jan 4, 2013.

1. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Step 1:
    Enable Sync / Auto-Downloads.
    [​IMG]

Step 2:
    Subscribe to Podcasts.

Step 3:
    Get in your car, AGAIN, only to discover that Podcasts that have been available for days still haven't been downloaded automatically, sit there and wait for them to filter through AT&T. ??? :mad:
    [​IMG]

2. bucksaddle macrumors 6502

Yep, auto downloads work fine here. You haven't overridden the default auto-download setting within each podcast have you?

3. MattG thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

I spot-checked a few of them...they're all using the "Default (On)" setting.

4. bucksaddle macrumors 6502

Just to clarify - are you expecting new podcasts to download automatically in the background (i.e. without going into the podcasts app) as they become available? As far as I am aware they will only begin downloading once you fire up the Podcast app

5. MattG thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

Yes, that's what I'm expecting. If not, that seems kind of lame...kinda defeats the whole purpose.

6. bucksaddle macrumors 6502

Yeah, it would be nice if it did that but it doesn't. Even according to Apple's own support article http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5295 "Auto Download allows you to automatically download new podcast episodes as they become available while the Podcasts app is running"
    I'm guessing (most of) Apple's own applications follow the same rules and when in the background they shut down.

One thing that bugs me is the "Auto-downloads to keep" option. If this is set to "All unplayed episodes" I would expect any played episode to be automatically deleted and reverted to a state that you show in the first picture (with the download arrow next to each episode) but it doesn't. You can quite quickly fill up space if you are not manually managing this

7. MattG thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

Yeah I've noticed that too :( I was shocked when I went in there the other day to see TONS of old podcasts that I thought has been deleted.

Thanks for clarifying!

8. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I see the problem here - you're using the godawful Podcasts app.

9. Swimforlife0627 macrumors newbie

I have a question off topic does anyone know anything about when you type in *data# and then it will say something like
    2250 of 3070 ( deactivated) but under it says 824.5 of 3070
    Do they add the numbers together and charge u if you were to go over? I bought a new phone half way through and something like this happened to me

10. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Funny you said that, because I have been using podcaster for a long time now, and I was thinking of giving the Apple app a shot and streamline my apps. I am second guessing myself now.