Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Step 1:
Enable Sync / Auto-Downloads.
podcast1.PNG

Step 2:
Subscribe to Podcasts.

Step 3:
Get in your car, AGAIN, only to discover that Podcasts that have been available for days still haven't been downloaded automatically, sit there and wait for them to filter through AT&T. ??? :mad:
podcast2.PNG

bucksaddle

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Yep, auto downloads work fine here. You haven't overridden the default auto-download setting within each podcast have you?

Comment

bucksaddle

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Just to clarify - are you expecting new podcasts to download automatically in the background (i.e. without going into the podcasts app) as they become available? As far as I am aware they will only begin downloading once you fire up the Podcast app

Comment

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Just to clarify - are you expecting new podcasts to download automatically in the background (i.e. without going into the podcasts app) as they become available? As far as I am aware they will only begin downloading once you fire up the Podcast app

Yes, that's what I'm expecting. If not, that seems kind of lame...kinda defeats the whole purpose.

Comment

bucksaddle

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Yeah, it would be nice if it did that but it doesn't. Even according to Apple's own support article http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5295 "Auto Download allows you to automatically download new podcast episodes as they become available while the Podcasts app is running"
I'm guessing (most of) Apple's own applications follow the same rules and when in the background they shut down.

One thing that bugs me is the "Auto-downloads to keep" option. If this is set to "All unplayed episodes" I would expect any played episode to be automatically deleted and reverted to a state that you show in the first picture (with the download arrow next to each episode) but it doesn't. You can quite quickly fill up space if you are not manually managing this

Comment

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Yeah, it would be nice if it did that but it doesn't. Even according to Apple's own support article http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5295 "Auto Download allows you to automatically download new podcast episodes as they become available while the Podcasts app is running"
I'm guessing (most of) Apple's own applications follow the same rules and when in the background they shut down.

One things that bugs me is the "Auto-downloads to keep" option. If this is set to "All unplayed episodes" I would expect any played episode to be automatically deleted and reverted to a state that you show in the first picture (with the download arrow next to each episode) but it doesn't. You can quite quickly fill up space if you are not manually managing this

Yeah I've noticed that too :( I was shocked when I went in there the other day to see TONS of old podcasts that I thought has been deleted.

Thanks for clarifying!

Comment

Swimforlife0627

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2013
I have a question off topic does anyone know anything about when you type in *data# and then it will say something like
2250 of 3070 ( deactivated) but under it says 824.5 of 3070
Do they add the numbers together and charge u if you were to go over? I bought a new phone half way through and something like this happened to me

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.