Do Portables take over your Desktop?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CharlieKirk, Aug 25, 2008.

1. CharlieKirk macrumors 6502

Well

Right now, I'm contemplating buying a MBP, but I'm thinking this will like... stop me from using my Mac Pro, and kind of... take over my desktop, as it's portable... something I don't really want to happen.

I know I'm going to love the portability, and ability to sit in front of my TV, and use my computer, but then again, I'm going to need to work, but feel, I might just end up swaying to one side...

Have any of you had anything like this happen before.

if not, any thoughts?

Charlie

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

maybe it's fine that you're replacing the Mac Pro with a Macbook Pro. The Macbook Pro is only comparable to the iMac. If you can get by with a Macbook Pro then you obviously didn't need a Mac Pro to begin with.

3. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Agreed.

I don't get what the issue is here? You're worried about having too much "awesomeness" with having a powerful desktop and a powerful laptop?

4. sonia1234321 macrumors regular

Hmmm... I know the feeling. Maybe you could use it as a side computer for personal uses/etc. when it is at your desk?

:)

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Today's notebooks, like the MBP, have enough power that I haven't found the need to buy a desktop computer in more than 7 or 8 years. I can still do everything I want on the notebook, and have the added benefit of portability. While some need the extra power of a desktop, I'd guess most users could do everything they wanted on a well-configured notebook.

There are lots of people using desktops who find occasions when they wish they were portable. I haven't heard of anyone using a notebook who wishes it wasn't portable. If you can do the same work with either one, and the pricing isn't an issue, a notebook is a good choice.

6. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Whoa, aren't you the 14 year old that bought a Mac Pro and 30" ACD really close within each other? Why do you need a MBP? :eek: Saving up and having a Mac Pro is already pushing it for any non-professional (even if you call yourself a prosumer. You aren't really a pro until you support yourself to a considerable extent on your work), but having that with a MBP? Whoo.

Sorry, I don't mean to be rude or anything, just that this shocks me quite a bit. To answer your question though I have found that after I bought my MBP I rarely ever use my old Windows desktop anymore. Even though I do quite a bit of media work, I wouldn't even consider getting a Mac Pro. Hell, if I do get professional, hopefully the company has those ready for me to work with already.

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

That's my position succinctly expressed. I first bought a laptop - an Olivetti - a decade ago, and have had nothing but laptops since. These days, the specifications and performance on a well-configured laptop far exceed that of desktops of only a few years ago, and are easily sufficient for most computing needs. Moreover, you have portability as well. Cheers.