Do posts need to be merged ?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by 0002378, Jun 12, 2018.

1. 0002378 Suspended

Hello, perhaps this has been asked before, but I find this one thing so annoying I feel the need to ask:

Do consecutive posts by the same poster need to be merged ? This has a few disadvantages:

- If a person wants to "Like" one post and not the other, they are now forced to Like both posts or neither
    - It makes the post longer and harder to read
    - If the two posts are responding to 2 different people and address different topics, it doesn't make sense to have them both in one single post

In order to avoid this, I find myself having to wait until someone else posts something after my first post, so I can then post again and not have it merged with my first post.

Is this necessary ? Are there any hacks to get around this problem ?

2. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

This was actually engineered to be a solution to a problem of multiple consecutive posts :)

3. 0002378 thread starter Suspended

I see. In my case, it became more of a problem than a solution :)

I understand what you mean, i.e. the intention. I just don't see it as fixing anything in my particular case.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, because seeing a wall of posts from a single member tended to annoy others. At one time we had rules in place that forbade multuple posts and communicated that members needed to use multiquote.

A longer post is no harder to read then if its broken up into multple posts, and if I were to hazard a quess, I'd say members would tend to skip multiple posts as much as if they'd skip reading a long post.

We try to keep threads limited to a single topic, because it can be confusing and unfair to the OP to derail a thread.

5. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

If you use the multi-quote function there won't be confusion as to which post you're replying to. Just hit the button with the quote + at the lower right of each post you want to comment on, then "Insert quotes" and write your reply.

I do see the issue with wanting to like one post but not another, but you can get around that by commenting positively in a reply post that contains more than one quoted post, if you see what I mean. It won't function in exactly the same way, but it does let you give other users positive feedback, albeit with a sentence rather than a "like".