Do ppc get viruses? Is there a way to defrag the harddrive?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Yakumo2897, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Yakumo2897 macrumors newbie

Yakumo2897

I am pretty sure the answer to this is no, but my email was hack last night, and i have yet to retrieve it. I hate hotmail. >.< This has happened once before a very long time ago, when i was in Junior high. The powermac i have is a used g5 but has all of his data in it, and he didn't care to reformat it for me. Is it better to wipe it and start over or try to run applejack and defrag the hard drive? Also how can I check to see if the programs are legal are not?

2. Sipheren macrumors regular

Sipheren

I think it's safe to say there are very few/no viruses for Mac's.

Defraging your drive will do zero to help with a virus or any type of spyware, etc you may have, it's also not something you ever need to do using OS X.

As for being hacked, I doubt it happened on your Mac, but I would say it could be possible, Hotmail is a POS for email, my friends have received spam emails from my address that I haven't sent myself and I haven't been 'hacked'.

3. Yakumo2897 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yakumo2897

4. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

In regards to formatting and starting again, that is probably the safer option from a "Legal" point of view. If he gave you keys or discs for pieces of software, then those pieces are legal for you to use, if he just left a copy of Adobe CS or somesuch as "trialware" then that isnt legal. You may have to go through Program by Program and see which are freely avaliable/ones you have licences for and which require a licence (which you dont have) :)

5. Yakumo2897 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yakumo2897

alright i think i am just going to uninstall all the programs he left on there. It shouldn't take too long i think the mac is just running sluggish. Is applejack safe to use on a g5?

6. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I wouldn't worry about it. Keep what you'll use, and junk the rest.

Never heard of Applejack, so can't advise you there.

7. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Yes to AppleJack. And OSX has a defragmentation system (of a sort) built into it, so as long as you leave your mac running overnight every now and again you're fine.

8. Yakumo2897 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yakumo2897

alright thanks ill run applejack tomorrow, and hopefully can get this cleaned up.

9. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

That still exists?