Do quadcore 2015 Macbook Pro's overheat?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by illusiumd, Feb 16, 2017.

1. illusiumd macrumors newbie

I've had a 15 MBP Late 2013 2.3gHz i7 at work that I have to give up for a new job. Was thinking about getting a Late 2015 with same specs when - doh it just shut down again cause got too hot encoding a video with Adobe Media Encoder. This thing runs around 60-65 celcius under no stress - 90-99 while encoding. Same thing on 2015's I suppose?

2. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

Neither the 2013 nor the 2015 should shut down. Both get very hot, but the cooling is sufficient [for them to stay on indefinitely] - maybe your 2013 is a bit dusty?

3. leman macrumors 604

100 celcius is considered safe operating temperature by Intel. However, that is also the maximal safe temperature, by reaching which the CPU will slow down to prevent possible damage. So you'll have to specify your question further. Its not really clear what you mean by "overheat". It is possible to bring almost every CPU to its thermal limits, unless they are using a very efficient super-powerful cooler (not many laptops do). Anyway, if your computer shuts down during normal operation that is certainly not normal and most likely indicates a defective unit.

4. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Reports are that the 2015 does run hot under load and can throttle, i.e. slow down to reduce the heat, but I've never heard of it or its predecessors shutting down as you describe. The vents may be blocked by dust.

The 2016 models run cooler if that's a big concern.

5. illusiumd thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry I guess I should have asked if the 2015 and 2016 15" i7's still get crazy hot. I realize 99 is technically within safe parameters and my 2013 shuts down very rarely... but yeah... just wondering :)

6. caramelpolice macrumors regular

2015s get a little hotter than 2013s, mostly on account of the GPU in my experience. 2016s run quite a bit cooler and quieter. Still, none of them should shut down when encoding a video unless something is wrong.