do quicktime files degrade like jpegs?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by janeyhayes, Aug 1, 2007.

1. janeyhayes macrumors newbie

janeyhayes

if i capture in iMovie and export 720x480 uncompressed quicktimes, which i then import into FCP and edit and re-export for dvd...is all this exporting degrading those quicktime files like a jpeg?
    i am also using Apple Motion in there and just want to make sure i am getting the best quality i can for my sd dvd...

2. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

Why would you capture in iMovie then import into FCP? Why not capture with FCP, it'll give you alot more control about how it captures, and will allow you to ensure losslessness.

3. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

While capturing in FCP is the better option, iMovie is entirely automated, which is nice, SO instead of exporting from iMovie, you can just use the files that imovie imports directly in FCP.

Right click (or control click) the iMovie package file, go to "Show Package Contents", then, once inside, open the "Media" folder, that will contain all of the clips in FCP-editable DV format.

4. janeyhayes thread starter macrumors newbie

janeyhayes

FCP is droping frames all of a sudden when i capture and i cannot figure out why...

5. janeyhayes thread starter macrumors newbie

janeyhayes

i didn't know i could open those dv files in FCP without exporting...i'll try that...thanks

6. janeyhayes thread starter macrumors newbie

janeyhayes

am i finding this iMovie package file while in FCP?

7. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

No the file is where you save the iMovie project, it's called "My Great Movie" by default.

Once you have the clips, you can just drag them right into the FCP media tray, where they'll show up, ready to be edited in final cut.