Do refurb iPhone prices generally drop when a new gen is announced?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JLaGreca, Aug 17, 2011.

1. JLaGreca macrumors newbie

I guess this is a question for those who have done so in the past. I am in need of a new cell phone and decided to finally go the iPhone route. I'm looking at the iPhone 4 in the AT&T online store, and a refurb 32gb is going for $199. I'm antsy about getting it, but not blind to the season in which we are in! Can anybody recall the patterns of iPhone refurb price drops in the past?

2. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Isn't an OOW replacement generally always $200?

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

the iPhone 3GS refurbished is offered for as low as $19 on AT&T's website.

4. Young Spade macrumors 68020

You' can put it online, however, you have to remember that there are going to be a TON of them online from everybody else who has one and wants to sell after the new one comes out.

That's how it always is. I would suggest, if you do get it, to sell it before the launch or the announcement. During that time, eBay won't be too flooded and you'll be able to sell it for a reasonable price. BUT you would have used your upgrade and, because of this, you'll have to pay the early cancellation fee or buy the phone outright.

Personally I'm just waiting for the next one and using my old feature phone until then.

5. JLaGreca thread starter macrumors newbie

awadeee, what is OOW?

I would not be buying it with the intention of picking up a 5gen very soon. I would be content with a 4 for quite a while.

And my original question is still up for some answering! :)

6. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

yeah, once the 5 gets released the refurbs of the 4 should go down in price based on what I remember from previous releases.

7. dave006 macrumors 68020

OOW - Apple term for Out Of Warranty replacement. Not sure how it is relevant to your specific question.

Your specific question about the price of refurb's dropping, Yes the prices will drop at least for a while since as a previous poster indicated, there will be a glut of iPhones flooding the various markets. AT&T and Best Buy and sometimes for Apple ( actually remanufactured ) drop the prices to unload older inventory.

Dave