do refurb MacBooks usually make noises?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Harry-70, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Harry-70 macrumors newbie

hey so i just got my refurb macbook and when i gently flex it it makes noises and when i press at the bottom in the middle it make a couples click kinda noises so i was wondering is this normal or is it because refurbhised

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are no inherent characteristics in refurbs that distinguish them from new Macs. In many cases, a refurb is a new machine that was returned unopened by a buyer who changed their mind. In other cases, a Mac was returned with a defective part. The refurbishment process includes replacing all such parts with new parts. All refurbs undergo rigorous testing before being offered for sale.

Click the link in that quote for more details on the refurbishment process.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

No, the noise is not normal for either a new or refurbished.
    It is reported here sometimes. Some have the noise, and other samples do not.

You can try removing the bottom and carefully reseating.
    You can also try carefully making sure that the bottom cover screws are tight (do not over-tighten as you would risk stripping a screw, which you don't want to do)
    You can also try a tiny amount of silicone lubricant applied to the screw head. It may make the noise less noticeable.
    You can also take your MBPro to an Apple store, and have someone check it out.
    You could also call Apple for a return (no questions if within the first 14 days), or call AppleCare to see if you have an issue that needs some attention under warranty (you have 12 months with any laptop - new or refurbished.)

4. Harry-70 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok guys, i think i might return it and i had one more question because i didn't want to start a new thread! so i was cleaning my macbook and i had 2 micro fibre cloths(came from apple) so i put one of them under water and then i applied pressure so the water came out of the cloth, and i cleaning the macbook top bottom and the trackpad and sides with it and then wiped it with the dry micro fibre cloth. so this will not void the return policy right? ( water damage) I'm still in the 14 day period

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As long as you didn't get water inside, it won't be a problem.

6. Harry-70 thread starter macrumors newbie

so as long as my cloth was dropping water out of it i am good right
    ( )

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As long as water didn't seep into the computer, but you wrung it out, you should be fine.