Do Refurbished MacBook Pro's come with program's previously added

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jsyxx, Jul 20, 2009.

1. jsyxx macrumors newbie

Not sure if this is the right place for this question but I'm purchasing a Refurbished MacBook Pro and I heard that the Refurbs sometimes come with pre-installed programs. Just wanted to know if this was true and if it is, what kind of programs are installed. Is it possible to get Final Cut?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

No, refurbs will come with a fresh install of Leopard. You will not get any extra programs.

3. caNNondale macrumors newbie

When I was at the computer store looking for MBP someone mention this "refurbished"! What does that mean? :eek:

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

It means that Apple took a faulty or returned Mac, fixed it up to spec and is selling it again, now as a refurbished Mac. They are essentially exactly the same as a new Mac.

5. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

That said, you can get extra harddrive and RAM upgrades, or free AppleCare like I did.

6. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

Refurbished computers do not always come with a fresh install. Do a little search around here and you will find many stories of people receiving refurbished computers with plenty of programs and user data installed. It happened with my most-recent Macbook Pro, in fact.

That said, you don't "own" the software if you didn't buy it...

7. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

Its possible, but rarely will you see those freebies. I guess what I'm saying is don't plan on it......

.......Final Cut would be a nice treat.

8. jsyxx thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, that sounds cool, I hope I get free AppleCare.
    How do you know if you got anything free?

9. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

Just click the little apple in the top left and choose "About this Mac", to see all the hardware specs.

Go to your Applications menu to see all your installed software/applictions.

And you can follow this link, to the online service assistant, to check on your warranty status. You just enter your serial number, which you can get when you go to "About this Mac"

https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

10. Guiguiga macrumors regular

Guiguiga

software on refurbished MBP

In the refurbished's page there's a little note on the bottom right side of each description that says:

"Other software may or may not be included (pre-installed or on CD's/DVD's) with refurbished products, subject to availability."

Some people get extras, most don't.